+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Used oil injected in wood fire evaporator

Default Used oil injected in wood fire evaporator

Years ago I seen an oil injection in a wood fired evaporator, but can’t remember who had one. I have 70 gallons of used motor oil. And would like to use it. Anyone had done this? If so what pump did you use?
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

Don't know id I'd want used, or otherwise, motor oil near my maple production setup. But, look for used oil burners around, lots of repair garages around here use them. Might be illeagal in some jurisdictions because of pollution. I'd look on Facebook Marketplace to start.
    2016 - helped at afriend with a small operation, 300+ taps. = hooked
    2017 - 20 taps @ home, 1 gal @ home on propane, then hauled to friends operation
    Bought a whole shack locally, with a Leader 1/2 Pint, moved it home
    2018 - 50 taps, 9 on 3/16 gravity and 41 pails -14 gallons of good sweet stuff
    2019 - 27 taps, 17 on 3/16 gravity and 10 on pails - 12-3/4 gallons of good sweet stuff (most fun I've had with this hobby)

Years ago my Dad set up a gravity fed system that had a pipe near the front of the evaporator with small holes in the bottom side to allow the oil to drip onto the wood. Worked ok but if the oil hit the grates instead of wood, it eventually caused the grates to warp. I agree with Phil though. I would not do it anymore.

I have seen it on 2 different evaporators and personally don't recommend it. Both were a real mess and the smell was terrible. I'm sure others have done it with good success so this is just my opinion.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

I was thinking a barrel out side. And running 3/8 screwed pipe right to the arch. I could run gravity with it but I would like a mist. My arch is air tight I think it will be pretty clean burning and I can get my hands on cooking oil also. I don’t plan on using it all the time just starting the arch and after Refiring a little bit.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

+ Reply to Thread