+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back yard RO Questions

Default Back yard RO Questions

A few years ago I built a RO. I use 4 100GPD membranes, and a small pump that max's out at about 80 PSI.

I would like to increase my throughput on the RO and would like to know if I went to a 150 GPD membrane (4) and a pump that would generate more PSI accomplish that?

For full disclosure, I admit to being an RO idiot.

100 gpd x 4 is 400 gpd divided by 24=16.66 gal/hr. Does yours now handle about 16+ gal/hr? If not, find out how much pressure your current components will handle, (plumbing, canisters etc.) Then just try a pump that gets closer to that pressure, if it's the pump you might want for what you suggest, all the better, even if you need to restrict the pressure to 100, or maybe 120psi. Then if that fails to increase your production enough just use that pump with the new membranes and plumbing you suggest.
    When a membrane is rated at a certain flow, it is input, not out put and it is at a specific pressure. Don't over pressure any component, even 80 PSI can be dangerous if it blows apart and as that psi increases so does the potential damage.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    100 gpd x 4 is 400 gpd divided by 24=16.66 gal/hr. Does yours now handle about 16+ gal/hr? If not, find out how much pressure your current components will handle, (plumbing, canisters etc.) Then just try a pump that gets closer to that pressure, if it's the pump you might want for what you suggest, all the better, even if you need to restrict the pressure to 100, or maybe 120psi. Then if that fails to increase your production enough just use that pump with the new membranes and plumbing you suggest.
    When a membrane is rated at a certain flow, it is input, not out put and it is at a specific pressure. Don't over pressure any component, even 80 PSI can be dangerous if it blows apart and as that psi increases so does the potential damage.
    I have never really measured the through put of my system, but I would say I get about 2.5 - 3 GPH.
    Good comment on the pressure rating of my components.

vtbackyardmaple Guest

Try a 125 or 150psi pump first. Keep those membranes as it might be just fine for your volume.
    If you don't get the results you desire then upgrade membranes. This way at least you have the pump
    to push 150 psi or 125psi. To get rid of the water you need that psi to push through the membranes.
    My 8800 is rated for 125psi. I'll probably run mine at 110psi and see how it does. If it struggles
    then I'll upgrade to 250psi pump. Never skimp on the pump.

We have an AEM pump that we run around 180 psi through 5 membranes. We also use a feeder pump that helps our pressure pump maintain the higher psi. We can normally get around 15-16gph @ 8-10%.
    45° 51' 48.0" N
    2013 - First 48 taps outdoor boil
    2014 - 74 taps covered boil
    2015 - 98 taps Sap Magic 2
    2016 - 0 taps :-(
    2017 - 100 taps
    2018 - 145 taps Sugar Shack and RO
    2019 - 170 taps 30gals made

>>Android Sapulator App<<

+ Reply to Thread