+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next Week

Default Next Week

Between the last few nights and next week having 4-5 projected nights in the high 20's. Anybody thinking about poking a tree or two?

I have, but the domestic commander and chief talked me out of it. I've done it before and made syrup, but the runs are smaller and less sugar this time of year. It means a lot of extra work for small returns. With that said, if you desperately need syrup you can make some. Being in Tennessee I imagine your going to see some pretty warm temps.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

If you get two weeks of good flow down here , its been a good year. Obviously I am a small timer but I love it. I built a wood fired boiler / arch a few years ago. and am up to 21 trees to tap. The best year I've had was about a gallon and a quart finished. I get excited about any sign of colder weather. The last couple of years we have been in bloomed out spring in February. I guess ill hold off.

Just me personally, if it is typically bloomed out in February and the weather is good now, I would tap now. You never know what the weather will be like in a month.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

back up 6 weeks from your typical last date to boil and use that as a target start date. If mid-February is your typical end then January 1 would be your start date in a typical year. If you get a cold spell in early December It would be realistic to tap. Figure you'll get reduced flow every day it warms up. I am southern Ohio and I have tapped around Christmas several years. I don't do all my taps, but I'll do about a third. With only 21 trees that's a tough call. I believe I would look at trends and try to pick the very best time frame for max flow. This is the value of keeping sap harvest records, you know what is normal years and respond to trends. I think you'll see another warm up then cold again. Be ready for that next turn of cold air.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Yea , I definitely see it both ways. Im probably gonna wait till the next good cold snap after xmas. I need to order some 5/16 tubing. I bought 500 ft of 3/16 last year only to discover its not real good for drops straight from the tree to buckets. I should stuck with 5/16. Im really really wanting a good season , the last two have been tough / warm.

Flowing like crazy down here. Been using the sap sacks mostly. I really like them so far. Had a squirrel chew one and another got so full it fell off the tree.

+ Reply to Thread