+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to boil larger batches of syrup for cream or sugar?

Default How to boil larger batches of syrup for cream or sugar?

Had a large order to fill this week for maple butter ( cream ). Poured 3 gallons into a stainless steel stock pot,started boiling at 6:00, didn’t get to temperature until after 11:00 !! Late night for bus driving next morning. Ran it through the butter machine next day at lunch,but had used a gallon of dark amber,so all my testers said the butter was pretty strong,I thought it tasted scorched,though it never did so 30 plus containers of butter getting tossed. Boiled another 2 gallons of lighter syrup,cooled it down super fast with fresh snow in the sink,came out silky smooth,customer raved about it. Would like to boil large batches without sitting watching a pot for hours on end.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Bruce - I've never done that large a batch at once. I've done up to 6L in a boil and if I needed more butter I'll pour that into my SS roasting pan to cool and do another pot on the stove. For 6L I can get it to temp in under an hour on my gas stove at home. For it to take 5 hours sounds like you couldn't get a hard enough boil? If you split that in half I think it would have gone faster.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread