+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nice addition to the Forums!

I might try the baking soda rinse. I washed it out a few times with just hot water, but it's still got that "new car" plastic smell.

Last weekend I rinsed out my new 35gal poly/plastic, food-grade sap storage tank with hot water and 1 lb of baking soda. After the baking soda, filled and drained it 2 more times with hot water and it still has a strong plastic smell. I was thinking about maybe trying some diluted cider vinegar with the next rinse attempt; or maybe try the diluted bleach method as long as the bleach/chlorine smell doesn't linger.

I've used a 25 gal. poly tank now for 5-6 years to collect sap with my 4 wheeler. I cleaned it at the end of the season with white vinegar and water to ensure that I didn't get any mold or other bacteria. I would think that either unscented bleach as Dr Perkins suggested or vinegar would help get rid of the "New tank" smell.

Well, after another 4-5 hot water rinses in the new tank, I decided to do what I always do when at an impasse - light something on fire! So I got some of my smoker chips out of the smoker, put them on a small steel plate, hit them with the propane torch for a few seconds, and put them in the plastic tank and sealed it up for an hour........and it worked. No more plastic smell; just a very slight hint of perfectly smoked brisket.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234