+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best arrangement for pans??

Default Best arrangement for pans??

Hi this is my first post on this site but I've been reading a lot and really helped me last year has my first time boiling using steamer pans...and see that I'm no different then others and yes...going bigger

I am now building a 2x6 arch and just got a used Waterloo 2x4 flat pan with 1 divider. I already have a 16"x24" flat pan that I was planning to use as syrup pan.
    The 2x4 has little "external" boxes in the front where the inlet/outlet are. I'm wondering the best arrangement for the pans (3 options)

Option 1:
    16x24 on the back of the arch with sap feeding into it one side and out the other then pipe to the front on the 2x4 (draw off on other side).

Option 2:
    16x24 on the back of the arch but feeding sap front of 2x4, exit opposite side then pipe to small syrup pan on back

Option 3:
    Put the 16x24 in front of 2x4 with space between to add elbows so I could feed sap to one side of 2x4 and out the other into the 16x24 in front of it.

Being both pans are flat bottom, pick which ever you choose, but make the draw off for syrup in the front pan. If you can arrange it, drawing from the front pan but at the back end for syrup draw works better.
    I would think the 18x24 in back, then feed from that into one side of the 2x4 and draw off syrup on the other side.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for the reply....If I put the 2x4 in front with the outlet facing the front draw off would be right at front. But if I turn in 180 degree to have outlets at the back that would mean the draw off would be 4' front the front...would that be to far? If it is, I might be better to put the smaller one in front, have sap entering in front corner of it and draw from back oposite corner of it? Would that work even if no divider in smaller pan?
    Last edited by racinee; 11-25-2020 at 06:56 PM.

With building a 2 x 6 you will have 8 inches to cover with a plate. I would use the 2 x 4 in back with the smaller pan in front, plating the front 8 inches as this can be the hardest area to keep a consistent boil. I think building a 2 x 6 is a good plan even though you have a shorter pan set at this time.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Thanks for the tip, I was thinking of plating between the 2 pans. But if the front is the hardest to keep the boil I'll plate that part. Good to know before piping the connections Building at 2x6 since I'm sure I'll be looking at new pans within a few year. Probably easier to find standard size.

Didn't you say the 2x4 had one divider? If yes, if you run the 2x4 in front (after your 8" plate) with the 2 boxes facing the smaller flat pan, you will then have sap going into the first flat pan, then flowing to the inlet box on the 2x4, then it will flow from there, forward, cross thru and back to the draw off. You may want to experiment, does the heat in your pan favor the filler plate in the very front or the very back? Try both and decide.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Good idea! If I connect it that way I'll have the flexibility to try with plate in front or back as well as small pant at back or front with no plumbing changes other then intake/outlet! This site is amazing with all the people helping out whether a full blown operation or a backyard beginner! Thank you all for your help!

+ Reply to Thread