+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapping for 2021

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    Are you saying the roots that are below frost line will always be available for decent water/sap flow, but that the stem itself may not be? Especially if the frozen stem is insulated by snow surrounding it.
    Often that is the case yes. Once you're more than a few inches below the ground (especially if there is snow cover), the soil/roots will not be frozen. However water in the stem above ground, especially with snow packed tightly around the trunk, is frozen. Sap can't move up from the soil though the frozen section into the stem until it thaws out some. Generally that happens when the snow starts to melt back from around the base of the tree.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    Just for fun I looked at the farmers almanac for 2021.
    This isn't encouraging.
    Remember last year’s almost snow-free winter in the Northeast? Well, this year our prediction is very different, with the possibility of a blizzard hitting the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast states during the second week of February. This storm may bring up to 1-2 feet of snow to cities from Washington, D.C. to Boston, Massachusetts!
    Looks like The Farmers Almanac was right. More snow coming tomorrow too.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Often that is the case yes. Once you're more than a few inches below the ground (especially if there is snow cover), the soil/roots will not be frozen. However water in the stem above ground, especially with snow packed tightly around the trunk, is frozen. Sap can't move up from the soil though the frozen section into the stem until it thaws out some. Generally that happens when the snow starts to melt back from around the base of the tree.

Soooo??? .... being that we have many sugar makers in the region who are angry that winter actually has the nerve to show up this year, can we alleviate their pain at least a little bit by telling them that if they spend this "lock down time" by shoveling the drifted snow away from the trunks of their maple trees that they may get expedited sap service when the atmospheric conditions for decent sap flow do arrive?
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

easier to just blame all your woes on the groundhog -

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Van View Post
    easier to just blame all your woes on the groundhog -
    Its entirely possible I will be making Ground Hog Jerky in March rather then Maple Syrup. I do have a set living in a hole in the hill behind my shack.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

I have them too, and they haven't showed their faces in a long time.
    I'm really missing those long, in to the night or next morning, boiling days.
    And all my new syrup making toys are just sitting there.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    Soooo??? .... being that we have many sugar makers in the region who are angry that winter actually has the nerve to show up this year, can we alleviate their pain at least a little bit by telling them that if they spend this "lock down time" by shoveling the drifted snow away from the trunks of their maple trees that they may get expedited sap service when the atmospheric conditions for decent sap flow do arrive?
    They might be even more excited to know that "cold" winters generally have a stronger association with good syrup production years than warm winters. Cool, wet springs (think "sugar snow") are also good.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

The cold and snowy days are making tapping difficult.75520BE0-0F73-4C2E-A9B8-236124E05BF4.jpg
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

the longer we wait the longer the days get...
    hopefully it'll hold off 'til mid March and there'll be an extra hour
    of daylight and more sap daily!

This is setting up nicely in our neck of the woods in western Maine. If we can start the season with 2-3’ or more of snow around the trees, it’s usually a good season. May be long, may be quick but a lot of snow in the woods is key. Buy some snowshoes!!
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast