+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sap sugar content

Default sap sugar content

looking over last years sap report survey got me to wondering, what are the main contributors to the sugar content each year? it seems that even in the same general areas there was a large difference in the reporting.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Some of what controls sap sugar content (SSC) is genetic, some is environmental. Genetics play a role in dictating the maximum SSC, and most environmental factors tend to reduce the level from there. So a tree that is genetically programmed to have a max of 3% SSC will essentially never produce 4%.

Tree size and canopy position is a big factor...the more exposed the crown, the more light hits the leaves, the faster the photosynthetic engine runs, the more sugar is made and in the sap. Big dominant trees and open-grown trees tend to have the highest SSC.

Time of season is important. In fall and winter, SSC tends to be low. In the spring it peaks, then falls off.

Several studies have shown that nutrition is important. Again, it's a matter of the photosynthetic engine running well. Good nutrition is like high octane fuel.

Then there is the matter of weather/climate/biological stresses. All are important, and as mentioned, if not optimal, tend to drive SSC downward. The relationships are not especially strong, but they are detectible. We have a nearly 40 yr record of SSC at PMRC, and have assembled a large dataset of different variables we think could affect SSC. I've spoken on it a few times at various meetings, but no PPT or video is available yet. Typically things like adequate moisture in the fall, winter and spring are good. Drought and delayed fall/winter cool temperatures are not good. More to come as we dig deeper into the data.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

thanks Dr. Tim.
    i always understood the tree size and canopy played a large roll, but i guese there are a lot of other factors that we just don't have that much more control over that matters.

i also now know why some of my trees i tap have never produced, genetics, it just not in their genes.

Is there a difference in sugar maples from different areas? As in VT, vs. CT, vs. WI, ??? does elevation make a difference? I know there are really too many variables to scientifically compare, no two maples are the same, but I hear a lot about ssc in VT being higher than southern CT (where I am). Although most of my trees have been in wooded areas and have smaller canopies, and last I checked, ssc = 1.5-2.0 brix, I will be expanding to include maples with more space and canopies this year, and hope they have a higher ssc.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

Genetics play a big part, but canopy likely has more of an influence on SSC.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

All I know is I see these reports of 2.5-3% and higher. Most years I average 1.5-1.6% and occasionally see a few days of 2%, if I ever saw anything over 2% I might faint or look for an empty sugar bag .....surely someone would be messing with me. I hope Those who have 2.5% and higher realize how blessed they are.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Great question.It seems hot sunny weather in the summer should produce best.I bought a sap hydrometer
    and can hardly wait to check this year..one maple in particular that stands alone in my neighbours front yard.It is a
    solid six feet across and has a canopy bigger than the farm house.I only put 2 taps in it each year.I have taken over
    12 gallons of sap from this tree in one day. Two - 3 gallon pails overflowing at noon and again at 6 pm on one occasion.
    My neighbour wants me to put in 8 or 10 taps but i don't want to harm this tree in any way, shape or form and use 1/4" taps.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    All I know is I see these reports of 2.5-3% and higher. Most years I average 1.5-1.6% and occasionally see a few days of 2%, if I ever saw anything over 2% I might faint or look for an empty sugar bag .....surely someone would be messing with me. I hope Those who have 2.5% and higher realize how blessed they are.
    Buckeye - I am in the same boat as you with ssc!!!
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

I'm 90% reds with a few sugars on the roadside of our property. We have a stand of sugars behind my work we tap but every tree is new to my wife and I. We are hoping the sugars make up the difference this year. But our woods are crowded and need thinning. We hope to at least see 2% as a high
    2024- 500 taps on vac
    100 on gravity
    2x8 vision
    2 sugar crazed Akitas and one awfully patient wife

You should switch out those 3 gallon pails to five gallon buckets.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast