+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintaining Mainline Pitch thru Culverts

Default Maintaining Mainline Pitch thru Culverts

I've been challenged by my driveway crossings through culverts. Right now I run through a total of 4 and 2 freeze up. The problem is simply that the line tends to sag inside of the culvert and sags are particularly bad where the sun doesn't shine on the line. It doesn't help that the culverts aren't pitched very much so there is very little tolerance. And, it's hard to connect the line to the wire and for the ties to stay put as the mainline is installed.

Does anyone have any tricks to share?
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I ran high tensile wire through my culvert and then wire tied mainline to wire every 18 inches inside the culvert.

Quote Originally Posted by toothfairy050 View Post
    I ran high tensile wire through my culvert and then wire tied mainline to wire every 18 inches inside the culvert.
    That's what I would have done if the culverts were large enough to enter into.
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 11-11-2020 at 06:56 PM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO

Can you run the mainline through schedule 40 or some rigid drain pipe to keep it from sagging?
    12X16 Sugarhouse and 16x24 attached woodshed
    1000 taps
    120 3/16 tubing
    And still some buckets
    Becker U5.70 Rotary vane
    Leader 2X8 Reverse oil fired, Revolution Pans & Steam a way
    Lapierre Turbo 2000 600 GPH RO
    Leader Clear frame filter press
    John Deere Gator 6X4
    Indy 500 and a very large sled.
    Kubota M8200

Quote Originally Posted by christopherh View Post
    Can you run the mainline through schedule 40 or some rigid drain pipe to keep it from sagging?
    I've thought about that a lot and I believe that could work ok in a relatively short culvert, particularly if there is room for plenty of pitch. But my culverts are 20 or more feet long, and at that length a sleeve is not stiff enough to prevent a sag. Also, the heavier you make the sleeve the more deflection you create on the wire. And, a larger diameter sleeve (stiffer with less sag) would allow the mainline to wiggle into smaller sags.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

can you undo one end, tie it every foot (or even 6 inches) and get it reset? Probably would help to have a tensioner and a tension grip close to one end of the culvert, so its at its stiffest point.
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

+1 on the previous suggestion. This is how we've done several culvert passages -- prearrange them on wire and ties and then pull them through. They still can freeze up some if there is insufficient pitch. We've set them up with quick connects so we can swap from one line to another if need be, or disconnect and try pumping hot water through them. The main thing is to get the sags and dips out and make sure the pitch is good enough.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have a 6 inch culvert under a sled trail, its corrugated poly pipe that I ripped down the middle with a chain saw that I am able to slide on once its wire tied. I like the Doctors advice on quick connects that I have been playing with for a couple of years now
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MapleCamp View Post
    I have a 6 inch culvert under a sled trail, its corrugated poly pipe that I ripped down the middle with a chain saw that I am able to slide on once its wire tied.
    Very creative idea if I understand it correctly. It sounds like you: dig a trench to the culvert subgrade profile, install the wire and mainline with ties, longitudinally split the culvert open with a single cut, put the split culvert over the wire and mainline, and backfill the culvert. Is that your process? Do you repair the culvert to preserve its structural integrity?
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    Very creative idea if I understand it correctly. It sounds like you: dig a trench to the culvert subgrade profile, install the wire and mainline with ties, longitudinally split the culvert open with a single cut, put the split culvert over the wire and mainline, and backfill the culvert. Is that your process? Do you repair the culvert to preserve its structural integrity?
    I did it on a high spot on the main line run, I did not repair the rip cut , and I did not fill the trench, I covererd it with planks and pack it down as the snow falls. In summer we ride over the planks.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast