Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible to use RO from a carwash?

Quote Originally Posted by MapleMark753 View Post
    Another concern may be lead, it was a concern for me in replacing some parts in my own RO. Test swab kits are like 12 bucks for half a dozen near me, just at a big box store. No idea near where you are but they gotta be widely available. Along the same line, some parts can be brass, and some brass can contain lead. Some parts are also certified as about lead free (sorry don't remember the exact terminology). You're most likely aware of all this stuff, but a hot water soap wash, acid wash, another soap wash, and then rinse is what I do for my 125 gph RO. (but thats in season with membranes already in).
    Daves cautions above are def legit also so I'd just add my mostly "what he said" too. lol...
    good luck! also if you could let us know how it turns out if you have time, that'd be great.
    Mark
    How would a person test that with the kit? Fill with water after a good scrub/cleaning, new lines etc? Fill with water and test the water?

Before a lead test, I would replace any brass and galvanize fitting. run a wash and rinse without membranes. you already know there is stuff in there you don't want. I did the same with my 20-year-old ro. apparently, waterloo was not too worried about lead back then.
    2017 140 taps 30x8 12x16 shack 28.5 gal
    2018 158 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 44 gal
    2019 223 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 36 gal
    2020 226 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 63 gal
    2021 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 37 gal
    2022 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 55 gal
    2023 235 taps 30x8 12x16 waterloo ro 50 gal
    2024 54gal

Hey-- The lead check I was referring to is a swab type deal where the part is directly swabbed (so multiple swabs, several test places). 3M makes a test kit like this and theres videos on how to use them. Here's a quote from them-- "To use the 3M™ LeadCheck™ Swabs, the user simply crushes the cardboard at points marked “A” and “B” and shakes the swab twice. The user, holding the tip down, then squeezes the swab until a yellow liquid is visible. The user then rubs the swab on the test area for 30 seconds while continuing to squeeze the tubeTo use the 3M™ LeadCheck™ Swabs, the user simply crushes the cardboard at points marked “A” and “B” and shakes the swab twice. The user, holding the tip down, then squeezes the swab until a yellow liquid is visible. The user then rubs the swab on the test area for 30 seconds while continuing to squeeze the tube.."
    There is lead testing for liquid too, like you referred to, where you send a test off to a lab, its tested there, and results are sent to you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Personally I’d pass. Using the same criteria as repurposing collection tanks. As Dave said, there may be oil or whatever in there at some time. Why risk it?
    If you need to replace one or more membranes, you may as well buy an RO Bucket and see how that goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by needmoremaples View Post
    John- I'm a little bigger than the ro bucket buddy. Doing 4x40x3 or 4

2016 7 taps= 1-2 gallons of syrup
    2017 135 taps on bags/buckets =17 gallons syrup on block arch
    2018 75 taps on bags/buckets in new locations =50 gallons syrup (2 month season) on insulated barrel stove with auf and hobby r.o.
    2019 less taps on different ground for 1 month season. 20 gallons. Added 4x40 RO membrane and never finished 2x4 cooker.
    Creator and Mod of Wisconsin Maple Syrup Producers on FB

Where I come from, at <75 taps you're not so big.
    You asked if salvaging an RO from a car wash to use for maple was a good idea...4 have said no.
    Maybe you could bounce it off your Wisconsin Maple Syrup Producers Facebook page.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by needmoremaples View Post
    John- I'm a little bigger than the ro bucket buddy. Doing 4x40x3 or 4
    The RO Bucket sells a unit that handles 150+ taps and produces 20gph of concentrate.

Again I'm bigger than the RO bucket. They take too long to produce I havent updated my signature but will do that now. Last year I did 350 taps. I boil about 300-500 gallons of sap in a day so that's not even close to my needs. Also the RO bucket is easily built on your own and save 100 bucks. I know because I did it before they even came out. With the single 4x40 I was pulling a gallon of water out in 2 min. Trying to get it where I'm matching my boiling speed. At the current rate I have to stop cooking and wait for the RO to catch up while recirculating batches. But really none of that is about the post. I was hoping to get more than opinions and maple mark gave some great info. Was hoping to get something from dr Perkins or another expert.
    2017 135 taps making 17 gallons syrup
    2018 75 taps =50 gallons syrup
    2019 70 taps making 20 gallons. Single 4x40 RO
    2020 bought 40 acres installed 250 tubing taps, 100 bags. 70 gal
    2021 500 taps with guzzler. 80 gal syrup + sold sap
    2022 600 taps 27 gal sap per tap on guzzler!!! 110 gal + sold sap

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

It "might" be possible to make the car wash RO workable, but you'd have to replace the membranes, replace any lead-containing fittings (anything brass) in contact with the sap or concentrate, replace any rubber or plastic seals anywhere all throughout the machine (these can pick up chemicals and can cause odor/taste issues), then do a couple of rounds (minimum) of soap and acid washes and rinses (leaving the membranes out for at least the first round). It can be really difficult to get detergents and oil out of machines.

And obviously you'd want to keep what comes out of the "discharge" side of this RO rather than the permeate that the car wash was after.

Would I recommend it to most people? Probably not.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

TY DR PERKINS! This would cost me 7-10k so buying some new membranes, piping and seals is alot cheaper. And yes I'm aware the permeate was their "product".
    2017 135 taps making 17 gallons syrup
    2018 75 taps =50 gallons syrup
    2019 70 taps making 20 gallons. Single 4x40 RO
    2020 bought 40 acres installed 250 tubing taps, 100 bags. 70 gal
    2021 500 taps with guzzler. 80 gal syrup + sold sap
    2022 600 taps 27 gal sap per tap on guzzler!!! 110 gal + sold sap

I would get the model number off the booster pump and look into what it is made of (stainless, brass, maybe look at an internal parts diagram). A lot of those older car wash boosters have cast iron heads and can only boost to 80psi. It probably isn't fda and contains brass impellers, screens, housings, etc. Did you say the membrane housings are stainless or poly (poly will hold contaminants). The orings are probably non fda buna. If you could reuse the infrastructure at the basic level and are saving enough to justify redoing the rest of it, obviously it would be worth it. If you are paying 10c on the dollar it won't take much to end up ahead.

When you start measuring things at the ppm level, it is very difficult/impossible to "clean" anything that has any porosity to it. If you rebuild the system and then test lead, you are back at square 1 with a lot of money invested.
    Last edited by carls47807; 11-13-2020 at 06:36 PM.

at the end of the day you are making a food product. this does not belong in a maple system PERIOD!! if you offended oh well, what goes in a persons body is critical and long term. you will not get it clean enough to use for syrup. can you imagine what particles of nasty crap has gone through the machine as a rinse off of vehicles , NO THANKS
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast