Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible to use RO from a carwash?

As a follow up to Fred and Dr Tim...
    Looks like you’re now making 70 gals of syrup and I’d guess that with 40 acres, you will make even more in the upcoming seasons. I think it would be fair to assume that you’re going to be - or already are - selling some of that syrup.

If that’s a correct assumption, there should now be little doubt in your mind that producing and selling syrup produced with questionable equipment would not be ethical. 100% Pure Maple should be just that.
    You’re playing roulette here to try and save a buck. It’s just not worth the risk to your reputation nor the health and well being of those who trust your product was produced in a professional manner.
    Hopefully, with the advice from some of the experts - I am not one of them- you will reconsider.
    Last edited by johnallin; 11-14-2020 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Let me put this way, What if you put a sign out at your sales point or a notice on your containers saying, "this syrup made by using reconditioned carwash equipment, use at your own risk". How much syrup do you think you'd sell? Yeah, I wouldn't buy it. Doesn't the consumer have a right to know what they are getting?
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Well, I have had advice and used it from several of the writers here, so I would tend now to not use that RO. But, if you already have them and are working on them,(trying to read between the lines...lol...) why not contact someone (or some people) in person from your state association to see what they say and what advice they offer. When I have needed a real world word with someone or a bit of advice our association here has been helpful. And they're not likely to yell at you, but tell it like it is, there, where you are. Anyways, thats what I'd do.
    good luck
    Mark

The only thing being re-used will be stainless. That being said it is down to the membrane housings and the pump. I need to get more info on the pump and also take apart to see what its internals are made of. Thank you for all the comments. I would only run it if I can certify it. I cleaned two of the stainless housings and they cleaned up well with vinegar/water and a scrubby pad. This will all undergo a soap wash/acid wash and rinse if I can deem the pump useable.
    Last edited by needmoremaples; 11-15-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    2016 7 taps= 1-2 gallons of syrup
    2017 135 taps making 17 gallons syrup
    2018 75 taps =50 gallons syrup
    2019 70 taps making 20 gallons. Single 4x40 RO
    2020 bought 40 acres installed 250 tubing taps, 100 bags. 70 gal
    2021 500 taps with guzzler. 80 gal syrup + sold sap
    2022 600 taps 27 gal sap per tap on guzzler!!! 110 gal + sold sap

needmoremaples, you had made a comment about price earlier in this thread and with the sap flow path that you stated with most likely (but maybe) not having an option to recirculate, you would be around 375 gph, I think. Deer Run Maple makes a new 500 RO for about $5k. That is around half of what your thinking that you would have in a larger RO per your comment.

Just something to consider.

I too would be nervous to use a product that was once used to literally filter out dirt and petroleum products for the purpose of making food no matter how much cleaning was done. My reputation matters more to me than saving money does though because reputation makes money.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 11-15-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

OK, so I do actually have an additional thought... Some (maybe most?) car wash ROs have a large stand alone filter before the water hits the RO machine, and I think these larger stand alones are carbon filled. Which, can be good for catching lots of bad stuff, and can be back flushed (just cleaned I mean). But if this is the case while the machine may be cleaner than would have otherwise been, its bad for maple sap, may even be illegal to use in maple syrup operations in some (all?) jurisdictions. A 5 or 10 micron sediment filter (not carbon) is what most use in their ROs I think. I use a 10 micron, just on the theory that in 5 minutes use its a 5 micron anyway through natural accumulation of stuff.
    Shorter version of the above: if the car wash RO has a carbon filter dont use it.
    just my suggestion
    good luck
    Mark

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by MapleMark753 View Post
    ....if the car wash RO has a carbon filter dont use it.
    Absolutely not. Carbon filtration of sap or syrup would be illegal according to the definition of pure maple syrup.

Secondly, please don't take my earlier suggestion as gospel in any way. Could it be done? Perhaps, with a great deal of effort, and a lingering feeling of uncertainty. Would I recommend it or do it? Never. We had an RO system donated to us that was used in a lab that was only ever used to convert municipal water to RO water, but didn't consider using it for maple sap.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Yes as I said only the stainless housings and pump will be re-used. The stand and the electrical also. I did find that the pump is all stainless/no carbon steel. Going to call mf today and see what they think.
    Last edited by needmoremaples; 11-16-2020 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Called the manufacturer and these pumps wont work at all for sap due to the seals. They would be leaking in 1 months time or less. Thanks for all opinions and comments.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123