+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Electric Releasers

Default Looking at Electric Releasers

Does anyone have suggestions or comments on electric releasers? I'll have about 2,000 taps on this releaser. The unit will be conveniently located close to the sugarhouse so I can pump directly into the raw sap tank and power will be close by.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

In the for sale in the classified posted 8/9/20 Lapierre Releaser / Extractor
    posted by rsenesac

18x24 Lapierre Sap Releaser (2) 3” inlets 3ph Submersible pump - see pics 3PH pump runs off VFD (1ph in, 3Ph out) We have 2 of them .. consolidated our pump statio ... 18x24 Lapierre Sap Releaser (2) 3” inlets 3ph Submersible pump - see pics 3PH pump runs off VFD (1ph in, 3Ph out) We have 2 of them .. consolidated our pump stations .. $3000 each - complete set of releaser, pump, and drive Have a video of the operation - pls contact us and we can send .. Thx!
    Keywords: giles bernard, sap, releaser, extractor, electric, submersible, pump, 3PH, VFD, drive
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

I have used one large CDL electric releaser for 2,300 taps for 6 seasons and 2 small Lapierre electric releasers for 2 seasons. I am very pleased with these electric releasers. I have had very few issues with the larger CDL releaser, mainly a couple early morning sap slush problems. The CDL releaser is in a heated room in the sap shed located at my remote woods.

I have had no issues with the smaller lapierre electric releasers. One is located 400' from the sugar house and the other one is at a remote tank 1,100 from the sugar house. Both are in small heated rooms. I had electricity at both locations already and the combination of the heated room and the electric releasers did away with all the issues associated with mechanical releasers in cold locations.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

Thanks for the responses guys. I PM'd the guy selling the one listed in classifieds. Waiting to see if he responds back.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO

I suggest giving MES a call. https://www.mapleexperts.com/
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

One more question:

Is freezing of the discharge line a problem? I will have a relatively short run (about 75 ft or less) to the raw sap tank with an uphill push of about 20 feet. The extractor will be installed in a small shelter that I can easily heat sufficiently to protect it from freezing. I'm planning to insulate the discharge line but that only goes so far.

Is this a problem? What are other people doing?
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

heat tape works great!!
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Yes freezing of the discharge line is an issue. There are a number of ways to deal with it. As Brian mentioned, heat tape or wire is one. There are also the "inside-pipe" heat wires that run internally and use less power to do the job. (https://www.emerson.com/en-us/catalo...in-line-heater) Another option is to have your discharge line pump straight up out of your insulated shed and then slope it down to the tank so it will drain. Place the check valve you'll need on the discharge line at the highest point. Then you only need to insulate, heat tape the vertical section. If you have water available you can also make a water jacketed line (pipe in a pipe), 1" inside a 1.5" for instance. Insulate the whole thing. With water flowing through the outer pipe the inner pipe will never freeze.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Yes freezing of the discharge line is an issue. There are a number of ways to deal with it. As Brian mentioned, heat tape or wire is one. There are also the "inside-pipe" heat wires that run internally and use less power to do the job. (https://www.emerson.com/en-us/catalo...in-line-heater)
    Interesting. I hadn't heard of this product.
    Thanks
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

If you run the first part vertical for 20 feet it is possible to install a T at the discharge of the releaser, add a valve and drain it into a bucket before a freeze up. I also use T's and valves to select different tanks and or pump the sap outside if it is the first sap after a few 70 degree days until the sap clears up some. This just gives you options, and the sap is not sitting in a warm heat traced environment for an extended period.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast