+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar and turbine powered vacuum pump

I suggest you get and use a copy of the Cornell Maple Tubing Notebook, By Steve Childs. If you are going to try running the vacuum line a long distance, you need to info in that notebook to determine the size vacuum line necessary to carry that vacuum. If the transfer line is not properly sized you won't get proper vacuum to the taps or the releaser.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by calvertbrothers View Post
    I have been thinking about this also. The first 1500 feet would pitch towards the releaser then the remaining would be pitch to the vacuum pumps if I were to do this. My biggest fear would to lose cfms
    That sounds okay. You'll need a moisture trap at the pump and the releaser will serve as the moisture trap at the other end.

And you'll need to check it frequently during freeze-thaw cycles.

Also, I would plumb the vacuum line with a T with valves before the releaser so that you can isolate the releaser, turn off the vacuum, and open a drain leg off the T. That way you can clear any moisture that is being pulled uphill towards the high point. It would also be convenient to have a similar configuration at the pump where you could inject compressed air down the lines to purge that moisture. This arrangement should allow you some time to fix problems while maintaining at least some vacuum in the sugarbush.
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 11-07-2020 at 04:59 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Great idea...but. Ron and I lived off grid for 20 years with solar and wind. 2 small wind turbines mounted on the barn along with solar panels. The sap house had small solar and turbine. We used 2 5,500 watt Generac generators for back up. Our vacuum pump was gas. Pipeline ran across our pasture to the woods. About 800 ft. Our system was built over several years. Compared to others, our system was very small. For 2 people fine. What you're trying to accomplish would be extremely expensive and very difficult. You would need a big wind turbine in a big open area. Batteries are wicked expensive. Some things are just not possible...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12