+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 55 gallon barrel cut in bung-holes?

Default 55 gallon barrel cut in bung-holes?

I'm planning to expand my operation a bit, and need to buy one or two 55 gallon barrels for sap collection. Seems like the optimum barrels would be ones where the top is removable for cleaning, but you can just open a bung-hole for filling it as you haul it around. Home Depot sells this, but it's a lot of $$: https://www.homedepot.com/p/EarthMin...5-OC/302608907

On Craigslist I've seen used barrels, but they typically either have open tops, or bung holes, but not both. I thought I remember seeing someone write up a how-to here, that explained how he made sealable bung-holes in his, but I can't find it now. Or maybe it said how to remove the top? I guess if I could get one with a removable top, and add sealable bung-holes in the top, that would be great.

Anyone know the post I'm talking about? Or have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets

Cut a hole in the top and put in a bulkhead fitting?
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

Banjo Fitting (like was mentioned as a bulkhead fitting)
    You will need a holesaw for the installation.
    2016 - helped at afriend with a small operation, 300+ taps. = hooked
    2017 - 20 taps @ home, 1 gal @ home on propane, then hauled to friends operation
    Bought a whole shack locally, with a Leader 1/2 Pint, moved it home
    2018 - 50 taps, 9 on 3/16 gravity and 41 pails -14 gallons of good sweet stuff
    2019 - 27 taps, 17 on 3/16 gravity and 10 on pails - 12-3/4 gallons of good sweet stuff (most fun I've had with this hobby)

2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

I typically think of short squatty tanks for sap collection so that it can be transported in the sugarbush without risk of tipping over. And with a large opening to dump your buckets without spilling.
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 11-02-2020 at 05:46 PM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I'd be cautious using that barrel from Home Depot. It seems to me if it was food grade it would say so. It does not! I see the question was asked but found no answer.
    I fear is that the barrel is made using recycled plastics.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

A few producers have carefully cut out the top on a food grade 55 gal or even a 275 gal caged tote (IBC) so a 5 gal food grade bucket fits in tightly. They then drill a few holes in the bottom fir the bucket to drain into the barrel or IBC. They then can snap a food grade lid on the bucket. To try this, get a food grade 55 gal barrel. Then hold the food grade bucket on top and trace around the bottom. Then cut 1/4" outside the line. Food grade 5 gal buckets and lids are available at Lowes (likely Home Depot and others too) just be sure they are labeled FOOD GRADE, otherwise they are made with recycled plastic which could have contaminates in it. 55 gal food grade barrels are available, as are used IBC totes. If going with an IBC be sure it had a food product originally and that it was not a strong flavored one. Good choices are apple juice, vanilla extract, orange juice and such, not a good choice to have had pickles or a strong sauce or such.
    That cutout allows you the cleaning access. Another option, you can buy 12" and larger food grade bulk head fittings with a screw on lid.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

This is how I did my collection barrel. The removable top tends to leak so I used a food grade closed top cut a hole in the side and plastic welded in a bottomless bucket that I can snap on a lid for travel. I use a Gator ATV and the wooden cradle fits in the bed then strap it down. Jay

Collection Tank and Cradle (3).jpg Collection Tank and Cradle (6).jpg Collection Tank and Cradle (4).jpg Collection Tank and Cradle (9).jpg
    Zucker Lager

+ Reply to Thread