+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16 tubing outside diameter? Push to connect fittings?

Default 3/16 tubing outside diameter? Push to connect fittings?

What is the outside diameter of most 3/16 tubing? Specifically interested in the leader lateral line OD.

Is it 1/4-inch or 5/16- inch? Or something else?

Anyone ever use John Guest style push to connect fittings to build a small manifold and connect 3/16 lines to a diaphragm pump (like shurflo or aquatec)? Or is everyone using barb fittings to connect the 3/16 lines?
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

They don’t hold well if there is much stress put on them in tension.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Plan was to use braided rope slid over the tubing to take up the tension before connecting to the manifold.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press

5/16 will work. As Dr. Tim stated, probably shouldn’t use under tension. I use the rope as well to tighten then tie into my diaphragm pump with the push locks. Makes it convenient to switch out pumps. There is an issue with the outer diameter measurement not running consistent. Sometimes they fit and lock fine or you may buy new a roll, even from the same manufacturer, and the line will be too small and not grab. In that case I heat a tapered punch and swell it.

The OD seems to vary depending on type. I just happen to have a couple pieces of tubing and a caliper handy, Leader 3/16" rigid measures 0.30" OD with my calipers. CDL 3/16" semi rigid measures 0.325", a little bigger than 5/16".

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DRoseum View Post
    What is the outside diameter of most 3/16 tubing? Specifically interested in the leader lateral line OD.

Is it 1/4-inch or 5/16- inch? Or something else?

Anyone ever use John Guest style push to connect fittings to build a small manifold and connect 3/16 lines to a diaphragm pump (like shurflo or aquatec)? Or is everyone using barb fittings to connect the 3/16 lines?
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Very much appreciated!
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com

I have leader semi rigid and I have used 5/16th but only on the low ends of my laterals where they won't disrupt natural vacuum, they will slip and they may leak a tad, but they are handy to have on hand for fast repairs. I have cut a leaking line and stuck one in temporary until I can do a proper fix.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread