+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shack on a budget

This is what the wife referred to as Hooterville. It is a pallet frame wrapped in plastic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    This is what the wife referred to as Hooterville. It is a pallet frame wrapped in plastic.
    Love it, that is awesome

I actually have a grill gazebo that I still have to set up

Maple camp
    Not to take away from this thread, but your new shack looks pretty amazing. I like what you have done with the front.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I can understand the need to keep your cost down but I think you'd be compromising too much on convenience, efficiency, and maybe even safety. Why not just do a pole barn roof like Maple Camp. Then you can improve the structure every year - maybe add a wall, make shelves and benches, etc.

With a temporary structure, you'll still need a storage area for all of the equipment, tools, tubing, parts, etc. And, if you have at least a roof with 3 walls then you'll have space that mostly protected from the weather all year round.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    I can understand the need to keep your cost down but I think you'd be compromising too much on convenience, efficiency, and maybe even safety. Why not just do a pole barn roof like Maple Camp. Then you can improve the structure every year - maybe add a wall, make shelves and benches, etc.

With a temporary structure, you'll still need a storage area for all of the equipment, tools, tubing, parts, etc. And, if you have at least a roof with 3 walls then you'll have space that mostly protected from the weather all year round.
    Agreed, thst is what i may end up doing building a pole frame and roofing it and then adding more next year

We built a quick temporary boiling shelter by using two large shipping skids (6' x 11') turned on their sides with a sheet of plywood bracing the back and 2x4's tying the roof together. First try we put clear plastic over the top - big mistake as the steam had no where to go. We changed it to put plastic just on the sides of the roof and left the center open which worked well. Stacked wood at the front to block the wind and easy to add to the boiler. We did have one of the warmest Marches we can remember though so we were never cold. Tore down really easy. Will do this again next year and if we like doing this (I seem to have caught the sugar itch pretty bad) we will build a more permanent sugar shack next summer using 6 of these same pallets.20210306_164524.jpg20210313_093746.jpg
    Dan of Jack & Daniel's syrup.
    2021 - First time tapper, 40 TAPS, 7 GAL syrup
    2022- 105 taps, 17 gal syrup,
    2023- 143 taps, New permanent 12x16 shack. Lost my father in law Jack who helped me build it. His name lives on in our syrup. New Badgerland filter press.

Congratulations and welcome. You my friend have caught the maple syrup bug. The only possible cure is to keep doing it and growing with each season. Most importantly is to have FUN doing it.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I am also going to try and make an inexpensive removal “sugar shack”, built around an existing cinder block evaporator I just made. To be honest I did not give it much thought when I built it, thinking I would throw up a wood frame with a tarp thrown over it. I did not appreciate how much steam and condensation there will be.

I am still thinking exactly what I will do, but I will make a floor surrounding my evaporator, build structural post and beams, then will have a half wall with two removable upper panels on each wall. The upper panels would be off while evaporating, weather permitting. I would have a shed style metal roof to top it off. It will only be like 9 x12 in size.

I would like to build a larger, fancier, more permanent structure, but I already have too many permanent structures on my property.

The main goal is to keep any precipitation or debris off of the pans while evaporating.
    Last edited by Swingpure; 07-31-2021 at 09:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast