+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudy haze left on Stainless

Default Cloudy haze left on Stainless

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has a solution to my problem. My pans soaked in vinegar for months, for the most part cleaned up perfectly, but there is still a dull haze left on the stainless that I would like to remove. Ive used vinegar and rinsed with water and scrubbed them down, added water, boiled and rinsed, etc....still a dull haze.

Any solution to this or should I accept it is "normal"? The outside of the pans are still a mirror finish.
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

I can't help, I've never soaked the pans in vinegar for more than 2 days, usually just overnight. I didn't get a haze. Is it possible you left it so long that the acid actually made a light etch in the SS?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You could try a caustic based cleaner and see if it helps. Organics clean up better with caustic and minerals with acid.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Try rubbing with a paste of baking soda/water. Rinse copiously. If that doesn't work, try a little alcohol.

It might just be permanent. Acids (even a relatively mild acid like vinegar) shouldn't be left in pans for extended periods. You only want to leave cleaners in place long enough to do the job.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread