+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum filter help

Default Vacuum filter help

Anyone out there that can give me a parts list of what I would need to build a vacuum filter, I have a SS electric coffee urn I plan on using, I used to use it with my cone filters. I need to figure out what size valve I need to put on it so I can hook up to a shop vacuum. Any info I can get to help me build one would be much appreciated. Thanks i also posted this in another section.

I built this for this past season. I used the following:

12" stainless pot and lid from walmart
    8" stainless pot and lid from walmart
    1/8" rubber lip from amazon to seal lid of 12" pot
    2 10" turn buckles from hardware store
    12" grease screen cut to fit opening for filter support

I cut a maple pre filter to fit along with grease cone filters to fit as prefilters

The adapter i used a fitting for a home brew and then adapted the 1.25" vac hose to the 1/2NPT Thread via a ball valve. everything but the bulkhead fitting is from Tractor supply (All poly)

to make I cut a 7" +/- circle in the lid of the 12" pot, same as the bottom of the 8" pot on top. Then layered the Screen, felt filter and 2 pre-filters on top of the 12" lid, sandwiched by the 8" pot. I had to cut the turnbuckle screws to fit what i was doing but went from handle to handle.

As long as the syrup was somewhat filtered through a grease filter at first it worked really well. I did small batches so it worked for us.

IMG_5068.jpg

IMG_5004.jpg

IMG_5003.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MDMAniac View Post

I cut a maple pre filter to fit along with grease cone filters to fit as prefilters

The adapter i used a fitting for a home brew and then adapted the 1.25" vac hose to the 1/2NPT Thread via a ball valve. everything but the bulkhead fitting is from Tractor supply (All poly)

to make I cut a 7" +/- circle in the lid of the 12" pot, same as the bottom of the 8" pot on top. Then layered the Screen, felt filter and 2 pre-filters on top of the 12" lid, sandwiched by the 8" pot. I had to cut the turnbuckle screws to fit what i was doing but went from handle to handle.

As long as the syrup was somewhat filtered through a grease filter at first it worked really well. I did small batches so it worked for us.

Attachment 21578

Attachment 21579

Attachment 21580

Attachment 21581
    Looks awesome thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by MDMAniac View Post

Attachment 21578

Attachment 21579

Attachment 21580

Attachment 21581
    Quick question, on your suction valve do you have a tube pointing down or just the bulkhead fitting flush with pan sidewall.

Default Quick and easy vacuum filter build

We just built this vacuum filter last week. Bought a turkey fryer kit from Walmart for $48. We had already purchased another one for the propane burner stand. Take the two pots and
    1. Take the metal handle off 1 cover, then drill holes thru the lid all around it.
    2. do the same to the bottom of pan #2.
    3. Sand, grind, file all the aluminum burrs off the finished lid and pot bottom.
    4. Now the pots should stack together with the lower pot lid and upper pot bottom the area where you will clamp the pots together with a prefilter and filter between them. The syrup will be pulled through the holes, filter, and end up in bottom pot.
    5. For vacuum port, drill a hole with a hole saw, for a Pvc threaded coupler that your shop vac hose will snuggly fit into. Insert a couple rubber washers on each side of the threaded coupler, and screw to tightening down.
    6. Get 4 adjustable stainless steel turnbuckles and some small eyebolt to screw them onto the pots, along with a fender washer and nut on each side of the pot to cinch them up tightly. Space the 4 out evenly, and screw the bottom end of the buckle on the bottom pot with the eyebolt. Then another eye bolt into the top pot spaced so the turnbuckle can be screwed to tighten it up. Do this with all 4 and you are all set! Plug in your ~4.5hp shop vac and get your filters in there and give a run with the top on the top pot. If you it gets sucked down and you can lift the whole unit from the lid, you are in good shape. Test next with water, then you will be ready for syrup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Goatogether; 01-24-2021 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Forgot something

+ Reply to Thread