+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mason 2x4

Default Mason 2x4

so i picked my new to me Mason 2x4 and have been getting ready to set it up in the shack, my question is, i am going to go straight up thru the roof but seeing how the evaporator has the exhaust out the back and not the top, would i be better off putting a T off the back first and then go up, or would i be better off using an elbow then up ?

While it is advised on wood stoves to have a tee, that is because wood stoves burn so poorly that creosote builds up. On an evaporator you will fire it hard, not slow, so no creosote. Use an elbow, and make it 24 ga or heavier. With sheet metal for those who don't know, the lower the number of the gauge, the heavier it is. Even with 24 ga, check it for thin spots before every season. 20 ga is more like it for galvanized stacks, in SS 22 is ok.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

thanks Maple Flats, i just wasnt sure if the T would be less restriction and create a better draft then the elbow

Don't worry about the draft flow, you just need a minimum of 8' of stack, and extra helps. Don't have any damper and absolutely don't reduce the stack size.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

i'll have plenty more then 8 feet of stack for sure, its 6 inch off the arch, i,m gonna stay 6 all the way

The T makes it easier to clean the stove pipe. Put a cap on the part of the T facing down. Now you just have to take the cap off and run a brush down it straight through with a bucket underneath it to catch what you brushed off. I did that even with the stove pipe in my house with a stainless flue. Sure makes cleaning easier than with an elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    The T makes it easier to clean the stove pipe. Put a cap on the part of the T facing down. Now you just have to take the cap off and run a brush down it straight through with a bucket underneath it to catch what you brushed off. I did that even with the stove pipe in my house with a stainless flue. Sure makes cleaning easier than with an elbow.
    i have both, but i didnt know if one would be a better draft then the other

Have any other producers ever had creosote in the stack on you evaporator? I have not.

Not here - it's like race cars don't have a carbon build up issue. Now, my chimney at the house from the wood furnace? That's a different story.
    2016 - helped at afriend with a small operation, 300+ taps. = hooked
    2017 - 20 taps @ home, 1 gal @ home on propane, then hauled to friends operation
    Bought a whole shack locally, with a Leader 1/2 Pint, moved it home
    2018 - 50 taps, 9 on 3/16 gravity and 41 pails -14 gallons of good sweet stuff
    2019 - 27 taps, 17 on 3/16 gravity and 10 on pails - 12-3/4 gallons of good sweet stuff (most fun I've had with this hobby)

Same here. Pretty hard to get creosote in the evaporator pipe, but the woodstove chimney in the house is a different story.

+ Reply to Thread