+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to do with 'almost syrup'

Default what to do with 'almost syrup'

I'm a small time boiler, always boiling less than 50 gallons of sap at a time. I have an undivided pan. I start with wood and finish with propane. For me 50 gallons is an all day affair, sometimes going in to the next day.
    My question is, if I boil 50 gallons down to 3 gallons, what can I do with the 3 gallons if I can't finish it for whatever reason? Can I put it in a refrigerator, and if so, how long can it stay in there before I have to finish it? Freezing it seems like a good idea, but won't that take forever to get melted and back up to boiling and finishing?
    I ask these questions because I have never stopped boiling and finishing in the same day, but have read on this forum where people do stop, do to time restraints or other reasons.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

Hey Gord I do exactly that all the time. I have a 2 by 3 open pan and do single batches about 50 to 60 gallons of sap. Sometimes I run out of time and will store my almost syrup in a 5 gallon stainless keg. I run it into the, clean, sterilized, keg hot then seal it up and if I can refrigerate, otherwise I don't let it sit more than a few days at room temp. before finishing. I have stored it in the refrigerator in a well sealed container for 2 weeks and didn't have a problem. If you use a sealed container to store hot sweet sap it will suck air when it cools down and I think that is where some contamination will enter and start problems. I also made a stainless steel cover that I sometimes cover my pan with just for overnight then boil the next day again. Jay
    Zucker Lager

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

If you get it fairly dense and can put a cover on it to prevent contamination, it is unlikely to spoil for a few days (as long as you don't add fresh sap to it until you're ready to boil again). Partially boiled sap/syrup will keep in an evaporator for a few days (depending on the temperature and contamination source). If you can't boil again for several days, refrigerate it or hot pack it into something temporarily. Freezing will get you a longer storage time, but also take longer to reheat. Alternatively you can just bring it to a boil for 5-10 min every couple of days to kill whatever might have started to grow.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks Zucker and Tim.
    That puts my mind at ease. I'm still on my own custom barrel evaporator and keep adding different things to the operation every year. I just upgraded my evaporator with a blower to speed things up a bit. I still plan on around 50 gallons per boil, but it would be nice to be able to finish it the next day or day after. I know it's just watching water boil, but starting at 5:00 in the morning and finishing clean up after midnight is a long day.
    Thanks again!

No need to explain here. Just about everyone on this site, especially the hobbyists, has experienced those days. The problem is every time we add efficiency, we add taps!
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Exactly Sean! Adding 20 more taps come tapping time!

Maybe its a good time to look for a used divided pan pan that will fit your arch and you can boil and finish all at once.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Agreed. That just might be next year's addition to the process.

boil to near syrup and store in clean containers in a cool place until all boiling is done. After settling for a couple of weeks the near syrup
    will be nearly crystal clear. Carefully pour into your finishing pot leaving the sediment behind and finish on propane.Your Orlon
    filters will be hardly dirty at all.
    A good time to blend a too light early batch with a too strong last dark batch!

so if your storing your syrup to finish once done boiling, would a clean food grade 5 gallon bucket with lid be ok ??, or do you need some type of stainless container ??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast