+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fall journal and updates

Default Fall journal and updates

It's been a while since anyone posted anything and since cool weather was here I thought I'd start this thread to see what sugar makers are up to.

I have been working firewood mostly and clearing trails. I have a lot of damaged lines this fall. Some I took down to get to some trees we logged and cut up the tops. So I will start to at least damage inventory and pre-hang some back up. I have moved some dry wood to the shack but need to move more. I need to flag out another line or two as I'm going to tap a few more trees this year as I have sold out early and got an order for a farm market for next spring. The wife is retiring January 1 and says she'll man the evaporator for some extra hours, we'll see how that goes . Want to put a new thimble on the evaporator and I want to put a new floor covering down in the shack. The wood floor is looking pretty worn. I think I go with some vinyl or laminate in the working area. I have concrete board all around the evaporator and it good, it's just the work and loafing area needs refreshed. Anyone, have any recommendations for a new floor covering. I want something I can mop.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Well, going into December I have all my supplies for this season. I have put a new back on my firebox with a heavy steel coupler for my stovepipe. I rebricked the back. I mounted and plumbed my new head tank. I laid a new vinyl floor in my filter area. I need to haul some more wood to the shack and clean, but could boil tomorrow if I had sap.

I been making new drops when I'm bored and have about 1/3 of them done. Next I need to get in the woods and start working lines. I am kicking around doing some fall taps again.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I've been preparing some drops for my 3/16's lines. This will be all new to me, so I am going to start with only 50 taps on two or three lines and see how it goes. I have a lot of wood down and now its just a matter of getting it brought up from the woods to the shack to cut up and split with the splitter. Been holding off until after deer season is over with. Both of my boys have been quarantined with the covid-19 virus as a pro - cautionary action. This has not been good as they usually help with the wood, so it will be sometime in January when we get to do it.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I was originally going to add up to about 100 new taps this year, now I'm not sure. My lines are in fairly good shape, some limbs down on laterals but none on mains.
    I've been splitting more wood, not quite done yet. What I'm splitting is cherry which has been cut since 2018, and is high and dry.
    I just packed the last batch of bourbon barrel aged syrup into bottles. That continues to be a best seller but while it accounted for over 50% of my syrup sales last year it look like it may end up at 45-50% this year. Early in the Covid lock down I had a flurry of sales for Amber and Dark syrup which may have tipped the balance away from the bourbon aged slightly.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

this year Rumney Sugar Works made a big jump. I set up a roadside stand. sold all but 10 gals so far. the best year of sales ever! purchased insurance on sugar house and liability for sales. bought an excavator and cut a 3/4 to a mile long road into the sugar bush. my mountain is really steep and had no access what so ever. only by foot. so between the sled and side by side, I should not have to walk (climb) too much anymore.
    2017 140 taps 30x8 12x16 shack 28.5 gal
    2018 158 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 44 gal
    2019 223 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 36 gal
    2020 226 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 63 gal
    2021 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 37 gal
    2022 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 55 gal
    2023 235 taps 30x8 12x16 waterloo ro 50 gal
    2024 54gal

Just about there. Today I finished installing all new Ts and drops (all 3/16th) . The last week I have been repairing lines and stringing some new 3/16. All my lines are up and all the new tubing, fittings, taps and drops are installed and my woods is ready to tap, YEAH me . I set the main collection tank in it's cart today and will probably wash it tomorrow. I have to finish hooking up my mainline to the tank, but that's a 15 minute job. I am ready to do a final cleaning in the shack, wash up all the small utensils and gear and disinfect the tanks and pan and I am ready to go. Looking at tapping my early taps Christmas week ~50 taps, then be all in by January 20-31, 2021 with the other 75-80. Might start earlier if the weather is good. I saw two tress running sap today from wounds.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I'll start tapping in early Jan. It takes about 5-6 days to clean and repair lines, change all fittings and tap. Every fitting in 3/16 gets replaced every season. About 80-85% of my lines are 3/16.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Cleaning up from the last snow storm. 24 inches of wet heavy snow bought down a lot of branches and trees. Sap lines were a mess!
    12X16 Sugarhouse and 16x24 attached woodshed
    1000 taps
    120 3/16 tubing
    And still some buckets
    Becker U5.70 Rotary vane
    Leader 2X8 Reverse oil fired, Revolution Pans & Steam a way
    Lapierre Turbo 2000 600 GPH RO
    Leader Clear frame filter press
    John Deere Gator 6X4
    Indy 500 and a very large sled.
    Kubota M8200

+ Reply to Thread