+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions on trench drain

Default Suggestions on trench drain

I will be installing two trench style drains on both sides of my 2 x 8 evaporator. The floor has already been poured and the floor will need to be cut and the drain installed then concrete added back.

My questions are metal or plastic and should it run the whole length of the evaporator. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

Plastic ones come in slick modular pieces like pipe. But I'd use metal if you have heavy loads on it which could be the case if you change out your rig someday. You also need to consider how wide and deep and the plastic ones I've seen aren't either. I also suggest about a 1/4 inch per ft slope to make it drain well and plumb so they're easy to clean.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

If you will ever be putting hot water through it, go with metal. I’ve seen plastic pipe get seriously deformed and separated by hot water, resulting in huge amounts of water dumping under the floor. A recipe for floor movement.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

This is what I used from lowes, works great and run boiling water off the evaporator down it with no problems. 100 to 150 gallons of hot boiling water. NDS 10-ft L x 5-3/4-in W x 5-3/4-in dia Channel Drain Kit
    Item #737426Model #400-10RTL
    The 10 Foot Spee-D channel drain comes with a pre-assembled grate

Collects and removes excess water from driveways, patios and any other outdoor areas

Fits with 3-in or 4-in pipe when connected to the Speed-D channel bottom outlet or end outlet
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps

You can search self pitched concrete drains. They provide proper pitch based on the depth of a level trench depending on which sections you buy. They are commonly used in firehouses when washing trucks. A trench drain of any kind will be a great addition.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    This is what I used from lowes, works great and run boiling water off the evaporator down it with no problems. 100 to 150 gallons of hot boiling water. NDS 10-ft L x 5-3/4-in W x 5-3/4-in dia Channel Drain Kit
    Item #737426Model #400-10RTL
    The 10 Foot Spee-D channel drain comes with a pre-assembled grate

Collects and removes excess water from driveways, patios and any other outdoor areas

Fits with 3-in or 4-in pipe when connected to the Speed-D channel bottom outlet or end outlet
    I used this product in my garage. It's easy to install and works great under vehicle loading. I wouldn't put a heavily loaded caster over it without additional protection like a steel plate.

Make sure you pin it down good to prevent it from floating when you pour back
    your trench.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO

I roll filter presses over it,full syrup barrels, drum cart with full barrels and no problems. works great.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I roll filter presses over it,full syrup barrels, drum cart with full barrels and no problems. works great.
    I was talking about really heavy like if you replaced your evaporator someday.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

+ Reply to Thread