+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you want all maples or a mixture

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Beech are an invasive! .
    Are you talking about American Beech? Not invasive. Vigorous...but not invasive. Around here they are all being killed off by Beech Bark Scale Disease.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

On the topic of invasive species - this is another good reason for hiring a forester to walk the property with you. They will educate you and flag invasive plants to help you iradicate them. Then, once you own the property you should consider a forestry management plan to provide a guide to maintaining a healthy forest. Our FMP is specifically focused on maple sugaring and identifies field processes and restrictions for organic certification.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Beech (yes Amarican Beech) is okay until you cut one down that is still alive. Then in a year or two you will have a whole bunch of beech sprouting from the roots of the one you cut down. The bigger the one you removed the more new shoots you will get.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Here is just one paper by Cornell about controlling Beech https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs....et-2hzopzr.pdf
    While it covers beech bark disease, it has pictures by Dr Peter Smallidge showing how a larger tree's roots sprout and create a dense grove of beech. I just read it again, I learned that the heavy root sprouting can also happen if the tree died, I had only remembered it being a problem when cut. A chart shows treatments based on trunk diameter.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Beech are not a problem around me. Most of our woods are oak dominate anyway and you won't find many dense stands of beech/Maple. My own woods is 75% oak, hickory and beech. I have one area that is dominated by sugar maples and it isn't dense. I have cut many beech trees and I have never seen this mass sprouting of suckers from roots. I guess it matters a lot where you are and soil types/forest make up. We have logged the beech out with other trees and have cut some huge ones (4' diameter). They usually bring around $.30 a board foot, but a big clear log may have 500 ft in it. Clear beech logs around 12-14" sell as railroad tie logs. You won't find anyone killing them here. Of course Maple sugaring isn't big here either.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Beech (yes Amarican Beech) is okay until you cut one down that is still alive. Then in a year or two you will have a whole bunch of beech sprouting from the roots of the one you cut down. The bigger the one you removed the more new shoots you will get.
    No, I know how they can spread. You threw me on the use of the word "invasive." That's normally reserved for non-native species. But I do get your point.

Besides sugaring, I also manage my land for whitetail deer and grouse habitat. The root sprouting response of trees like beeches and poplars work wonders for creating thick deer and grouse habitat very quickly.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
    No, I know how they can spread. You threw me on the use of the word "invasive." That's normally reserved for non-native species. But I do get your point.

Besides sugaring, I also manage my land for whitetail deer and grouse habitat. The root sprouting response of trees like beeches and poplars work wonders for creating thick deer and grouse habitat very quickly.
    True, and deer love beech nuts as do turkeys and many other critters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12