+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you want all maples or a mixture

Default Do you want all maples or a mixture

Looking at a piece of property for sale. Went out and looked it over today. Real nice maple bush. About 70% maples and 30% mixture of beech,oak,and aspen. Question is if I end up buying do I go in initially and cut out everything except the hard maples or is a mixture of preferred?

How many acres? It might be worth hiring a forestry consultant to walk the property and tell you what he sees. Up here in Vermont, we have Fish & Wildlife scientists that will come out for medium and large parcels to tell you about wildlife habitat and invasive plant species on the property.

Generally speaking, you want diversity in your woods. In fact, my forestry management plan is very specific about limiting the culling of non-maples. The exception might be your aspen which are highly susceptible to blowdown and when they do can cause a lot of damage to other trees.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

A 25% mix or more of other species will significantly reduce insect and disease problems.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Great information. Thank you

Great thank you

I agree with the forester suggestion. I have a 50/50 mix in my woods and have harvested most of the larger non maples. It's about basal density. If you have a high stem count then thinning will let the crowns open up and help maples produce sugar, but be aware your under-story will explode if you let a lot of light in. I agree also, the aspens should go, they have little value. If your woods is relatively open and you have some large diameter oaks and non maples a select harvest will give you some capital to develop you sugar bush. Just remember, logging without damage is a myth. You have to decide what you want and what your goals are. A forester can help you find a low impact logger if you decide to cut. I have logged my woods three times in 32 years and am very satisfied with it's structure, but I have a lifetime of managing forest behind me and a wildlife mngt degree to boot. I am lucky, my wife's cousins are low impact loggers and only log with small dozers. They know I charish ny maples and will do everything possible to not damage them.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

As Dr Tim said well, having a mix is much better in the long run for forest health. If you go the forester route, which is a good choice, make sure that it is one that understands maple sugaring goals. Not all do and some will steer you wrong by only choosing trees for maximum lumber value.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Do you have an estimate on tap count per acre?
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

I went out yesterday afternoon and did some physical counts. The south side of the property is much better than the north side. On the southside I was averaging about 130 taps per acre. I believe the Northside will be somewhere in the 50 to 60 taps per acre range.
    Last edited by maple flats; 09-28-2020 at 10:32 AM. Reason: fixed typo, was tapsper not taps per

Often Beech can be a problem in a maple woods. Beech are an invasive! Beech can be hard to reduce the % you have. Read some info on reducing beech in the maple sugar bush. The big issue is when you cut down a beech, the expansive root network for it, send up a large number of shoots off the under ground roots and you can end up with a dense grove of beech. Beech is great firewood but it needs to be thinned properly. Dr Peter Smallage of Cornell has written about it.
    Last edited by maple flats; 09-28-2020 at 10:41 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast