+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 2x6 arch for "new" pans

The top fire brick can be tapered down to 1/2" thick, even down to zero in the upper 2" or so with your 1/4" plate sides. That will give you a better boil.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Nice work, I agree with Dave, try to reduce the amount of pan covered by the rail, you can weld stops on outside if worried about movement. If I might add , please put some sort of a valve or way of controlling flow of air. A pressure blower is like hitting the nitrous on a big block , you better either control it or hold on.

I am still up in the air about the type blower to use. I have read that some use the blower for a "bouncy house". I can hook that up with a big gate valve or maybe a large brass ball valve. has anyone used a blower from a houshold air handler or something simliar?
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

If you are just doing air under the grates it doesn't need to be a high pressure blower like a bouncy house blower. Any squirrel cage blower would work. If you did go with the bouncy house blower, definitely have a way to adjust the air flow like a pvc ball valve.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

It may seem odd but the biggest concern for me is noise, the operation has always been pretty peaceful with lots of conversation. I considered pluming the air in and putting the blower out of the shack. I think I've seen that done before.
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

i don't have a blower on my current 2.5x8, but on my old arch, i had my fan outside and ran 3" duct pipe into the arch from outside. worked well! just minimize the amount of elbows you use!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

My high pressure blower is outside, under my head tank platform and it is still plenty loud in the sugarhouse. I plan to make a sound deadening cover for it, with the side away from the sugarhouse open, sending most of the noise away from the sugarhouse.
    HP air is only used if you are setting up air over fire (AOF), which really increases the boil and the efficiency.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

short of a high pressure blower, i am looking at this model, squirl cage, suposed to be quiet, would likely fit just find behind the firbox under the flue pan.

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-1TDT6-...D3WRGD9XETC1EM
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

For simple air under fire (AUF) a squirrel cage fan is the way to go. For that, check what size is suggested by looking in a few equipment catalogs. Then buy one the right size or slightly bigger. You want a way to throttle the air flow, the easiest way is to either have an inlet damper (a piece of flat sheet metal mounted with just 1 screw) that you can move to adjust the air, or a damper in between the fan and where it goes in under the fire. Either method requires the damper to be mounted so it does not move in use unless you move it. The fan will have 2 small tubes leading to the bearings, add 1 drop of light oil each season for long life.

finally able to get back in the shop and do some work on the arch.
    Left to do:

fabricate door latch
    weld in metal on flue section of arch
    cut/install fire grate
    install blower
    paint
    BOIL!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast