+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DeLaval no 20 pump

Default DeLaval no 20 pump

This is not for Maple, although we do tap 150 on buckets, but for a small milking parlor. I just picked up a DeLaval no 20 vacuum pump. It runs and pulls vacuum but only 10-11 inches. It currently has a 1/2 hp motor on it and is running counter clockwise, which is opposite of my Lehman pump. Was looking for any info anyone has on it. RPM’s it’s supposed to run, HP motor it should have, direction? I need 14” to milk and 6-8 CFM ideally. Also if anyone has a lead on parts.

Thanks
    Jason
    200 Taps homemade 27x76 evaporator with 48" flued pan,

www.tessiersfarm.com

Do you have any pictures you can post? I have worked on a lot of DeLaval pumps but not heard of a no20. Most DeLaval pumps have a direction of rotation arrow cast into one of the end plates. Most common cause of low vacuum is stuck vanes or scored barrel. Easy to pull the drum out, just unbolt the end caps and slide it out. Vanes should slide in and out freely, the edges against the barrel shouldn’t have any chips or grooves, and the inside of the barrel should be smooth.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I pulled it apart inside looks good vein’s look good 2 seamed a little sticky I cleaned them up. No direction markings on the ends. I drained the Oiler, when I pulled the cap off, so I need to add oil then will try again. I don’t know how to do pictures, will get someone to help a little later.

www.tessiersfarm.com

DeLaval 20.jpg DeLaval 20
    DeLaval 20 a.jpg After loosening up the veins it builds 20 inches of vacuum, thats a good sign. Still not sure on CFM's

www.tessiersfarm.com

That’s good on vacuum level. Sticking vanes will keep it from making full vacuum. 20” is probably about all that pump will make. From the looks of the pictures, counter clockwise is the correct direction.
    Last edited by BAP; 09-14-2020 at 05:37 AM.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I only need 14 inches of vacuum to milk, so thats no big deal to me, I was just worried that 11 inches is not enough to milk, but the inside looks good to me. I really don't even care on CFM's it just barely has enough now, I will speed it up a little with a bigger motor and it is going to work out great.

Thanks for the input.

Jason

www.tessiersfarm.com

For parts check out https://hambydairysupply.com
    Maybe they will have parts. If not, just try a Google search, that may find a supplier who has parts.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread