+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any large propane canning units?

Default Any large propane canning units?

I have an 18 gallon propane canning unit from Leader that I've used for years but am getting tired of refilling the unit several times to finish off a 40 gallon drum. I'm looking for a canning unit that can hold a 40 gallon drum that is not 220v water jacketed canning unit. I've looked through the catalogs of several dealers and can't seem to find one so I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any options. I don't have a 220v circuit in my packing room and would prefer to heat the syrup with propane. Is that an option?
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

I think you are going to have a hard time finding a 40 gallon canner. Most are around that 15-20 gallon size. You could always contact a manufacturer and see if soneone will make one, only problem is id expect to pay top dollar for something of that size.

Check out Sunrise Evaporators. They used to make a pretty big propane canner. Also, a finisher can be used to can too.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Check out Sunrise Evaporators. They used to make a pretty big propane canner. Also, a finisher can be used to can too.
    Thanks...good leads.I never thought of using a finishing pan before. I'd prefer something with a cover but I could see that working.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

Have you thought about a soup kettle? I have one that is 30 gallon with a cast iron water jacket with stainless steel pot and is propane heated and a stainless steel lid.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Thanks...good leads.I never thought of using a finishing pan before. I'd prefer something with a cover but I could see that working.
    You could get a cover made to fit a finishing pan.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    You could get a cover made to fit a finishing pan.
    You reminded me of the idea I had a long time ago. Leader makes a 28 gallon finisher with a cover. The pan and the cover are a little over $500, much lower than the $3000 price tag of other options. I might just go with a combination of my current unit and something like that. One feature I like with my current canning unit is the adjustable shelf and I think I could put that longer 34" finishing pan on my current canning unit. It's longer but the same width. It's not ideal, but closer than filling my current unit 2-3 times and fully heating the syrup. I have a second set of burners that I could use to heat the syrup up with my current pan along with a finishing pan. I'd still have to pump syrup once but at least I wouldn't have to wait too long to fully heat it. I still wish someone made a unit that held 40 gallons and had an adjustable shelf for filling containers and wasn't $3000.

Thanks for all the different ideas guys!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

I took leaders stand and adjustable shelf and had them build a tank that fit it. Randy did the math to make it 45 gallons or so. Then I put 2 red gas burners under it my self. I got regulators that you can turn up and down. works great. the temp port is in the lower front middle then on the right half way between the temp port and the side,i had a 1in nipple welded to the canneron the bottom so it could drain. i did the same on the left side. I will try to get apic for you and measurements.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I took leaders stand and adjustable shelf and had them build a tank that fit it. Randy did the math to make it 45 gallons or so. Then I put 2 red gas burners under it my self. I got regulators that you can turn up and down. works great. the temp port is in the lower front middle then on the right half way between the temp port and the side,i had a 1in nipple welded to the canneron the bottom so it could drain. i did the same on the left side. I will try to get apic for you and measurements.
    I didn't know that Leader would do custom work like that. That actually would be ideal. I'd love to see a picture of that if you could. Do you about what you paid for that?
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

Just wanted to update the thread. I contacted Leader and they can create a custom 16x24" canning unit that can hold 40 gallons for about $1000. That's a little better than $3000. At least I have my answer and wanted to provide the option to anyone else who might be looking.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

+ Reply to Thread