+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pre-made cupola purchase

Default pre-made cupola purchase

Hi Folks,

My family built a little cabin that we used as a sauna for many years, but then fell into disrepair. I've been fixing it up and using it as my sugar shack. For the first few years I just had a little home-built evaporator, and with all the windows and door wide open, there was (barely) enough ventilation for the steam to escape (but it was still a bit of a steam sauna!) Now I've purchased a proper 2 x 3 Mason evaporator, and done a few boils in it. I tried putting a fan in an upper window, but that just was not adequate.

So I realize I need to chop open the roof and put a cupola in. I do not have the time to build one myself. Would a pre-made one like this: https://cupolasdirect.com/amish-cupo...as-mcb4ss.html be adequate? Or is there something about a sugar-shack cupola that is different, that I have to look for?

Thanks!

Gabe O
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets

You are going to want one that will open on the sides. Should be the same size as your pan 2 x 3. I had mine made by the amish and it is an opening of 2 x 4 inside dimensions for my sugar house and it was only $125.00. All I had to do was cut the opening and set it in place on the roof.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I agree with diamond. It needs to have doors that flop down to open nice and wide. I can't see buying one though. I think it would probably take just as long to build one in-situ as it would to install a pre-made one.
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

So it sounds like the common wisdom is that these standard ones with slats that open and shut on all four sides will not let out enough steam? Or am I misunderstanding?

Pdiamond: Would you mind sharing the details (you can send me a message here if you want) about who you worked with, and what plans you gave them to build it?

jrgagne99: While building it in situ might be fun, it's just not an option for me. I live two hours from my sugarbush, and any time I'm there is at a premium: if I'm not actively boiling, I'm playing with my daughter and helping my wife. I occasionally find some time to cut and split wood in advance of the season. And that's about it. So I can get a roofer to cut open the roof and install a pre-made cupola, but I don't think I can find a local roofer who would know how (or be interested) to make one.

Thanks everyone for your input,

GO
    Last edited by berkshires; 09-11-2020 at 11:04 AM. Reason: clarification
    All on buckets

If you can't or don't chose to do it, I'm quite certain any roofer or most carpenters would be able to do it. Just draw out a sketch, let them know you want the opening to be 6 sq feet minimum and that both sides should open. It's best if each side open equals the 6 sf in case a breeze from the wrong directions makes you open just 1 side.
    I don't think the one you referenced would be a good choice.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Just a thought for somewhere to go and have one built and possibly designed too. Check with your local high school trade classes some have carpentry classes. One of the high schools near hear builds complete houses that are auctioned off at the end of each year and the kids do a great job under the supervision of the teachers of course. Jay
    Zucker Lager

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    If you can't or don't chose to do it, I'm quite certain any roofer or most carpenters would be able to do it.
    I called a dozen or more roofers in the area, and none were interested in the job. Too involved I guess, and they have their hands full with the storms recently - doing roofing repair and such.

I needed to get it done this fall before the winter hits, so I wound up doing a quick-and dirty job of it. I cut through the roof and put two shutters on the roof that I can open when I'm boiling. I didn't touch the one exposed rafter on either side, or the ridge beam. So I'll probably get some condensation on them. Oh well. Hopefully over the course of next summer I can get someone to come in and build a proper cupola.

Gabe
    All on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by Zucker Lager View Post
    Check with your local high school trade classes some have carpentry classes. One of the high schools near hear builds complete houses that are auctioned off at the end of each year and the kids do a great job under the supervision of the teachers of course. Jay
    That was a great idea. A friend of mine did that for a shed he had built. Unfortunately, the local high schools around me don't seem to have that.

GO
    All on buckets

+ Reply to Thread