+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piston Vacuum Pumps

The old BB4 has cooling fins built into the main driven pulley, as did both of my vane type pumps.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I saw several producers using piston vacuum pumps over the years on Maple Rama tours. Are you still using them?

i'm still using one. pulling 28" of vacuum for 400 taps. keep good oil in them and throw a fan on it when the temps get up there and it runs great!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

You're asking if anyone is using a new piston pump for vacuum and you're getting a lot of replies from people using the old ones made for dairy use. I also use a dairy piston pump and find it to be almost indestructible. I don't think that anyone here can answer your question about a new one but given the reliability of the old ones I think that it will work good and that you'll be happy with it. For maple producers initial cost is a big factor and if the pump you're looking at is a lot more expensive than the other options available that would be why there aren't many in use.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

You are right about no responses about modern vacuum pumps as yet. I have used a Surge SP22 with success. But that is a 22 cfm pump, designed to be used at 15" hg, maybe useful for a maximum of 2000 taps? But that isn't what I have in mind. A modern piston vacuum pump, like an Ingersol Rand v twin, seems like a great choice, simple design, low tech, plenty of parts and dealers. Capable of 29" hg. The low rpm means cooler internal temperatures, less sugar buildup from sap mist cooking on. Simple maintenance that the average Joe can do.
    Last edited by Lloyd'sMapleSyrupandSap; 03-10-2021 at 08:52 AM.

I use an SP22 on 700 taps with no vacuum regulator. It has no problem pulling 27" sometimes for 5 or 6 days in a row without shutting it off. I've been running it that way for several seasons. I run 5W-30 full synthetic oil in it and change it at the start of the season. It does use a little oil which is to be expected but not enough that I have to top it up more than once in 24 hours.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I am certain the SP22 is good for hobbyists, I need something for a real, profit making, big time operation, that can handle far more than 700 taps, and preferably at 29" hg. I had hoped to hear from someone that uses an industrial, modern, piston vacuum pump, but no such response, yet!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12