+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piston Vacuum Pumps

Default Piston Vacuum Pumps

Anyone use a big piston vacuum pump sugaring? I'm looking at a big Ingersol Rand piston pump to use in my sugarbush. 100 CFM or bigger, no milk room pumps, PLEASE. Its an industrial pump made for high vacuum, I'm thinking it will work. Plenty of parts available too.
    Last edited by Lloyd'sMapleSyrupandSap; 03-10-2021 at 10:56 AM.

I use an old Babson Bros BB4, They eventually became Surge. It is a piston pump and gives me 26-27" vacuum. I have no specs on how many CFM it moves, but it does well on 400 taps, hopefully on 500, which I should get it in 2021 0r 22. If it needs more CFM when I get to 500 taps, I can just put the next larger drive pulley on the electric motor. It does not struggle, flip the switch and the rpm's seem to be there instantly.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have used a Surge SP 22 piston vacuum pump with good luck but it wasn't intended for high vacuum. The one I used had a 2 hp electric motor, 120 volt, I think. I used a refrigeration thermostat to turn it on and off, the thermostat was rated for 2hp motor so no relay required. Milking machine vacuum pumps typically run at about 15" hg vacuum. When you try to run it at 24" hg, it gets very hot, uses a lot of oil, and the sugar in the sap vapor tends to cook onto the inside of the pump. They are very reliable and cheap to purchase. The 22 in the name SP 22 refers to the piston displacement in CFM. It can handle about 2000 taps if you feel 10 CFM per thousand is what you want. I lean toward more CFM per thousand, 15-20. It can be a good choice if you don't need to have higher vacuum, like 28-29" hg.

I have the same pump as Dave... bb4. i had it on 330 taps last year (shooting for 400 this year). i have it on a 1" wet and 1 1/4" dry line and my furthest gauge reads between 27.5 to 28 about 800 feet away at the end of the furthest main line. keep the oil fresh and it should run pretty much forever. i change the oil once a week, sometimes a bit more frequent because i do tend to get some sap mist/vapor that i find in my moisture traps (not sure if that's due to the hobby releaser or just he way it works?). i'm not sure if the mist makes it into my oil, but the oil isn't too expensive... much cheaper than a new pump! the guy i bought it from had it on 1200 taps with a 1 1/2" dry and 1 1/4" wet and was pulling 27" with it. that piston pump works well for me!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

I have used piston pumps but I am wondering if anyone uses an industrial quality one, such as Ingersol Rand, 50 CFM or bigger, and how it has worked out. They are a bit expensive but kind of low tech, which I like. They often have a feature, called an unloader, I think, which I like as well.

My BB4 does not get very hot, you don't want to hold your hand on it, but I occasionally spray a fine water mist to test it, it never evaporated the wet instantly. I do have a non contact infra red thermometer but never got a reading when in use.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

One of the reasons I started this thread is I want to use a modern vacuum pump, with parts available, not an antique. And I wonder if anyone else, besides me, thinks a modern, low tech, piston pump, running at low RPM, could do the job well.

We use a couple cheap air comp heads, just remove air filters and hook up vac line. Make sure crankcase is vented or it will build vac and pull oil through rings. 25,26 inches no problem. Cfm is cfm that compressor is rated for. Ours are single stage.

The main difference between a modern piston pump and an old piston dairy pump will be that the dairy pump is designed to keep oil to the bearings, I think most piston pumps now use sealed bearings which when the temperature gets to a certain point might need more lube. On my old BB4 I took the original dripper oil control off and replaced them with an industrial one with good adjustment control of the oil flow. That might be an issue on a "modern" one.

Modern industrial quality piston vacuum pumps are finned and have a fan pully, constantly blowing cooling air onto the finned piston cylinders and heads. Some have a feature, called an unloader I think, that cycles the pump from a load condition to a no load condition, while keeping the pump pumping and fan pully blowing. The internal heat is kept much lower than a rotary vane pump. Therefore the sap mist sugars will not be cooked onto the inside of the pump, so they say. I have heard that a type of oil that is water soluble can be used in the vacuum pump to reduce the water soluble sugar buildup. But I have no first hand experience with one of these vacuum pumps, modern industrial, 2 or 3 piston, air cooled, not an antique, and would like to hear from someone who has used them.
    Last edited by Lloyd'sMapleSyrupandSap; 01-05-2021 at 05:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast