+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugar clump grinder

Default Sugar clump grinder

What do you guys think about getting something like this to process/grind sugar clumps up? https://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-K...ll_p_2310.html

That may work well. But here I have to ask, because I don't get many lumps. Are you processing good early syrup to 260F and stirring? We just don't get many lumps. Also the small half the size of a pea size nodules that we sometimes do get we just sift those out and sell them as sugar crumbles for toppings for ice cream. I have used a food processor to grind some of these smaller but they seem to sell in the larger form just fine too.
    Good luck with your sugar making. If I may ask how much granulated sugar are you making per batch and per year? We are small and make maybe 6 -8 gallons of syrup into sugar per year.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I had an oh s___ moment and took some syrup up to 290 when making sugar the other day, to my surprise it made sugar just fine,I will say it was a finer sugar.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I'm just freshly getting into sugar. As of August 8th I've sold around 50 to 60 lbs so far, hope to be moving more once I get into local grocery stores. I spent one day and made about 160 lbs, 2 1/2 gallon batches in a 60 quart mixer. Of the 50 to 60 pounds sold I have about 3 gallons of crumbles ranging from rice size to big grape size. I'm taking the syrup to almost 270 because the invert % is 2.4, slightly high then recommended.

I was doing some reading last night and from one post I cant remember who said it, but they said the reason for clumps is it's not being stirred enough, from start to finish in the mixer takes about 3 min, than I dump out to cool and store in a 5 gallon bucket with a air tight lid and sift before packaging. How long do you guys leave your mixer run while making sugar? Is 3 minutes to short?

Quote Originally Posted by tonka View Post
    What do you guys think about getting something like this to process/grind sugar clumps up? https://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-K...ll_p_2310.html
    It should work. It says it's adjustable to 0.1". I use this food mill which works on the same idea. You make a lot more sugar than me, so it might be nice to have the big hopper. See what the return policy is. The only way to really know if it will work will be to try it. If it doesn't do what you want, you don't want to be stuck with it.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

One thing I really like about the grain mill on the link I posted is you have the option of using a drill to run the mill and adjustable to accommodate different sized chunks.

Well, I bought the grain mill and just tried it tonight and it did not perform like I hoped it would have. It worked right away but after using it the fine teeth on the rollers gummed up with sugar to the point where the rollers would lock up. Back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by tonka View Post
    Well, I bought the grain mill and just tried it tonight and it did not perform like I hoped it would have. It worked right away but after using it the fine teeth on the rollers gummed up with sugar to the point where the rollers would lock up. Back to the drawing board.

that's pretty common we take what we can in crumbles and the rest gets recycled back to syrup for jugs
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

I use a burr mill coffee grinder it works great to grind the little chunks.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

+ Reply to Thread