+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap guzzler power supply cord length

Default Sap guzzler power supply cord length

Just curious how far anyone has run power (12/2 wire) to a sap guzzler pump without issue. I ran 250 ft last year and had no problems. Has anyone gone farther than that??? I have 110 volt pumps and I run them off generators. Just trying to go from 3 generators to 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

If you used a 10 gauge cord you could go 400ft pretty easy.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

Search a voltage drop calculator (google it) and plug in the numbers. Check what the specs are on the guzzler, not just the generic voltage. Stay at least 2V above what it will run at. To check it, use a multi meter to know what your starting voltage is, don't assume it is 110 or 120. My voltage dances back and forth from about 121 to 125. Check at several times of day and even days of the week. Whatever the lowest voltage reading is will be your starting voltage in the formula for voltage drop. In the pump literature check what the voltage minimum is that it will run. If the starting V lowest supply reading is let's say 119 and the pump needs at least 108, I suggest you use 110 in the formula (108+2V). Thus if your supply is 122 you can use a longer length than if it is 118. Realize also that every time you add a length using a plug in or even wire nuts, you lose a little in the connection. You will be best off using one long wire for your supply rather than joining 2 or 3. If you do need to join any, I strongly suggest you use some dielectric grease on the connection for a better transfer. The one most utilities and solar engineers use is NO-OX-ID A SPECIAL made by Sanchem Inc. I use it on all electrical connections on my solar and for more demanding loads.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

For checking your generator output check it with everything else running too, checking the output when nothing is loading it down will give you a false reading. If the generator is an inverter type, it will adjust as needed up to the rated load to supply a constant voltage.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Give me the specs off the pump motor, Volts (110,115,120) and the amps, and the generator voltage under the load it will be running at, I will run the numbers to give you the distance you can safely run.

Hi Dave. Pump is 115v at 1.5 amp. I am running an inverter generator also. Thx for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Johnjenner View Post
    Hi Dave. Pump is 115v at 1.5 amp. I am running an inverter generator also. Thx for your help
    This may help https://i2.wp.com/parkedinparadise.c...ctionChart.jpg
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Quote Originally Posted by NhShaun View Post
    There seems to be something off with this chart,.... or I just don't know how to read it...???

1.5 Amps at 115v on 12ga wire, should be able to run 500-600 ft before hitting 3% voltage drop, I think...
    Google "voltage drop calculator", Theres a bunch of them online.

Woops i believe this chart is for 12/24v applications.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

+ Reply to Thread