+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will this tree survive?

Default Will this tree survive?

I recently bought new house and there's about a dozen mature sugar maples on the property. The previous owner made syrup here and the trees look good except for the one pictured. I think they split the bark badly and severely injured the tree. See picture.

The crown looks healthy and I have no idea how old the wound is.

Will it survive? Or is this tree doomed?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Judging from the amount of callus tissue growing on the right-side of the photo, that wound is fairly old (several years at least) and probably was not just a simple taphole. More likely it was an anchor of some sort for a hammock or clothes line or something that repeatedly damaged the stem. Probably not from splitting. Most splitting observed with maples from tapping is actually very superficial, and doesn't extend into the wood at all. Almost looks like something was put in the tree and reacted badly in the wood, causing the dark discoloration you see.

Looks like the tree is already responding positively in terms of growth to eventually cover the wound. It should do OK in the long-run. I'd be more concerned (as a homeowner) about how closely it is growing to the house. 30 yrs from now that tree will be very big, and there will be a weak spot in the stem. Wind, ice or snow could snap it off -- and it's about a 50% chance it'll land on the house. Alternatively, the roots are growing very close to the foundation. Is it poured concrete or block?
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post

Looks like the tree is already responding positively in terms of growth to eventually cover the wound. It should do OK in the long-run. I'd be more concerned (as a homeowner) about how closely it is growing to the house. 30 yrs from now that tree will be very big, and there will be a weak spot in the stem. Wind, ice or snow could snap it off -- and it's about a 50% chance it'll land on the house. Alternatively, the roots are growing very close to the foundation. Is it poured concrete or block?
    Thanks Dr. Tim. It is actually closer to the neighbor's house and I think the foundations around here are mostly block. Mine is block. There is a tap hole in the center of that wound so that's why I was thinking it was from split bark from hammering too hard. There's one other tree with some hooks screwed into it but it's not wounded like this one.
    Home-built auto draw off
    8x10 Sugar Shed

That hole in the wound could be from something like an anchor or anything else screwed in there over a long time, not likely a tap hole.
    In terms of that tree falling some day, remember, if your tree falls on a neighbor's home you are responsible. Is it within 75-80' of the neighbor's home? While sugar maples can grow to about 120' tall, that only seems to happen in terrains where the tree needs to reach for light, like in the bottom of a narrow valley.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    That hole in the wound could be from something like an anchor or anything else screwed in there over a long time, not likely a tap hole.
    In terms of that tree falling some day, remember, if your tree falls on a neighbor's home you are responsible. Is it within 75-80' of the neighbor's home? While sugar maples can grow to about 120' tall, that only seems to happen in terrains where the tree needs to reach for light, like in the bottom of a narrow valley.
    Dave I'm almost 100% positive it is a taphole because the previous owners tapped here, but I could be wrong. Regardless, it looks like the tree will survive but with a weak spot in the trunk. This neighborhood has many mature maples and beech in close proximity to the houses. These trees have survived some significant weather events over the last few decades, and I can only hope they keep going. But of course it's a concern.
    Last edited by Urban Sugarmaker; 08-27-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    Home-built auto draw off
    8x10 Sugar Shed

It will survive but definitely as mentioned has fibre damage
    Here's a maple damaged by a nail someone put in many years ago at breast height
    20191103_153000.jpg
    This tree was healthy but I had to remove it do to hazard trees around it that needed to be removed.
    If you have it taken down please post a picture of the inside damage for us
    2019 - Barrel evaporator 2 steam pans 44 taps 13 Liters syrup
    2020 - Barrel evaporator 2 steam pans 51 taps 21 Liters syrup
    2021- New homemade 2x3 evaporator and flat pan 80 drop lines to buckets
    2022- (•,•)1350L naturally ROd sap 44L syrup
    2023- "\_(°•°)_/" 1100L sap 30L syrup not accurate due to natural RO
    2024 { ';' }1862L sap 52L syrup 52 drop lines to buckets

+ Reply to Thread