+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone seen the new Lapierre Vision evaporator?

You can also do a passible job using a masonry blade on an angle grinder.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by tcross View Post
    you can brick it and not mortar it in. many people don't sue mortar, but it is nice to have once you have it where it's going to stay. Bricking is pretty simple. you can use a masonry blade on a chop saw and get the job done easily. or you can rent a wet saw which will work a little better. if mortaring it in place, i would cut all the pieces and put them in place dry, then label them with a Sharpie so you know how to put hem back in. leave 1/4" or so from your last brick to the top rail for expansion and the mortar between bricks.
    Is there any advantage to mortaring the bricks other than helping to keep the bricks in place?

one advantage would be if you had or intend on having an airtight front/arch... risk of bricks falling out during a boil (minimal if you're fairly careful loading it up), looks nicer bricked?. other than that... i'm not sure?
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Those with the 2x6 version, let me know what you get for evaporation real world once you get going. Since I've cut back from 1300+ taps to 400-500 I'm considering selling my 3x8 and buying a 2x6. I just like my evap rate and wouldn't be happy with less than 30-35 gph. I now get 70-80 gph in and I can run 12% concentrate which helps. I say 70-80 gph in, that is the concentrate in, with evaporation and syrup out. In fact, I've gotten 85 gph, but I don't usually run it that hard.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

what is the advertised gph for the 18 x 60
    Looks gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by BoerBoel View Post
    Would it be possible to brick the 2x6 Vision without cementing the bricks in place? I need to move the stove after this season and it would be much easier if I could easily remove the bricks and then cement them in place after the move. Thoughts?
    I recommend cementing them in and install caster wheels. SmokyLake sells them, I bet LaPierre does as well. When I dry fitted the bricks for mine they seemed fragile as if they would fall out easily. Cementing them really tightened up the whole arch.
    2020 LaPierre Vision 18x48 raised flue. 150 taps
    Mountain Maple Vaccum pump controller
    2016 1st season! Mason 2x3 and 30 taps... time will tell!

ir3333
    i have done a couple test boils on mine. i have got the flue pan float set at 1 1/2'' and the syrup at 2''. i may change that when the season starts. with out pushing it and boiling for 1/2 to 3/4 hour at a time i'm getting 14 to 15 gallons a hour based on the amount of water used. i only monitored from the start of a heavy boil to the last wood loading. i think it can do more if i push it a little or ran it for a longer time. i think it's a great little arch, you won't go wrong if you are thinking of getting one .

I was wondering if there is any feedback on LaPierre Vision? I'm considering the 2x6 and I'm interested in the gph boil rate and also if the arch accommodates a forced draft? Also wondering if LaPierre is providing a hood with a preheater system?
    Thanks,
    Pete

I purchased a 2x8 Vision with reverse flow with a hood preheater with lights. I ordered in June 2021 and received Feb 12, 2022. I was super excited about the new rig but not the timing of the delivery and getting on the barn roof in Feb. After insulating and bricking the unit and a test boil we were ready to boil sap. After about the 3rd boil the unit was popping/banging. The front pan ended up being a 1/4" above the second syrup pan and a gap was created under the syrup pans. During the whole season I only made one grade of syrup due to the unlevel syrup pans. At the end of the season we broke down the unit and discovered the top rails warped bending inward and dropping. I returned the unit to the dealer and it was sent back to Canada. It was returned to the dealer with a modification to the arch but the warp was not addressed. Again the unit was shipped back to Canada to repair the warp. I have yet to receive the arch back. The problem is the 2x8 needs a third set of legs behind the ramp but Lapierre is reluctant to acknowledge or address the suggestion. In speaking with the factory plant manager this has been a problem in some of the 2x8 Vision line. My dealer has been very supportive in resolving the problem and my problem isn't with them but the manufacturer.
    My experience with boiling was fantastic hands down. My unit would boil across the whole width and length of the flue pan, very happy with boil and draft.
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234