+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evolution of a red maple bush - advice needed

Default Evolution of a red maple bush - advice needed

First of all, I am a hobby producer who has let his passion get away from him. I don’t sell my output and cost hasn’t been my criteria as I sink deeper into the depth of this crazy illness.

I currently run 5/16 lines in 3 very flat, and wet, red maple bushes. In total about 400 taps last year. I have been stringing 5/16 lines, with about 20 taps per line, back to Lunchbox Vacuum/Release pumps in three different bushes. Each Lunchbox takes enough lines to handle over 100 taps. My yield is about 1/2 litre per tap - which is about 33% of what this area yields commercially. This year coming I am reducing to two bushes, each with about 120 taps. I have purchased Guzzler diaphragm pumps and am going to replumb the bushes to use a mainline and run shorter lines with about 8 taps per line into the mainline.

Questions:
    1. I am planning to use 1” mainline for each bush - is there a problem with using too large a line? I might get away with 3/4.
    2. I was planning to continue to use 5/16 branches but I am getting suggestions to switch to 3/16 and put more taps on each branch. The bush is dead flat (wetland) so any incline will be only by installation. The longest mainline run will be about 300 feet. Would you recommend 5/16 or 3/16?
    Bob Harris, @puslinchbob, since 2009
    400 taps in 2 very flat red maple bushes
    2 Sapguzzler vacuum pumps each with 200 taps
    30" x 96" Smoky Lake Silver Plate with pre-heat and auto drawoff
    Bombardier Traxter XT fitted with tracks pulling 400 litre tank

My set up sounds like what you have. I use 3/4 mains and 5/16 lats and a guzzler double diaphragm on about 300 tap. I played a bit with 3/16 but am moving back to all 5/16 as I replace things. I ran into slow downs and plug ups with the 3/16. The only 3/16 Ive left up has about 60 foot of drop 50 taps on 3 runs and still runs good so it will stay unless it slows down. I do about .5 gallon per tap average.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

With a "flat" bush there is no reason what so ever to use 3/16. You want vacuum transfer to the taphole. I would limit my laterals to 5 or less taps.

You should notice a big difference by reducing your taps per lateral. I would use 8 as a max. and shoot for 5. I'd go with a 1" main, a lot more surface area and not much more cost vs. 3/4"
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

1" mainline provides much more room for vacuum (air) to move across the top. We won't put 3/4" in the woods any longer. The margin for dips is just too small. Let's say you're 3/4" pipe is 1/2 full of sap during good flow. So you've now got 0.375" on the top for air to move through. Now you have a dip in the mainline of 1/4" (common), so now you're down to 1/8" of room for air to move. Air moving in that low a headspace will induce turbulence in the liquid, and will reduce airflow and slow sap movement in the line. The whole thing snowballs until you end up with poor sap and air movement. A 1" pipe gives you more margin for error and better flow at only a small additional cost.

3/16" tubing is NOT indicated on flat ground. The frictional factor is too high and you'll get less movement. Go with 5/16" tubing.

Strive for 5 (taps on a lateral line). No more than 10. The best (production-wise) is 1 tap/lateral. That's too costly, so the "strive for 5" is a compromise between production and installation economics. Many high-yield production sugarbushes (high vacuum) typically go less and tend to have 2-3 taps/lateral, with very short laterals and lots of mainline. The "strive for 5" is again a good balance that will result in good production without breaking the bank.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thank you all for your help. One last question: How much slope on the mainline and the lateral lines?
    Bob Harris, @puslinchbob, since 2009
    400 taps in 2 very flat red maple bushes
    2 Sapguzzler vacuum pumps each with 200 taps
    30" x 96" Smoky Lake Silver Plate with pre-heat and auto drawoff
    Bombardier Traxter XT fitted with tracks pulling 400 litre tank

Ideally the mainline should have 2-4% slope, but even 1% will work but it needs to be supported so there are no sags. More than 4% can also work but the steeper you get the more turbulence in the sap. For the laterals, try to get the steepest slope you can.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I would definitely use 1” as well. Its not much of a cost difference and the vacuum transfer is so important, 3/4” like dr tim said on full run days or the smallest sag will block the vac moving inside the tubing.
    Also 3/16 seems to have many problems and many producers are switching back to 5/16.

My operation is half 3/16 half 5/16 and I'm swapping from 3/16 to 5/16 because of how many issues I have with it. If you asked me last year I'd have sworn it was as good as 5/16 but after my experience with clogs this year despite proper cleaning it has lost my respect.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

Question on this topic...sorry if I hijack...I’m also on totally flat ground..this bush has about 2500 taps on 8 1”side lines ..length of runs are about 1100’ each...currently this bush has 14 sap ladders...vacuum transfer is good with 27 at releaser and 24-26 at the ends..but sap volume is not what it should be...oh and this bush is pretty much all reds..the idea that is bouncing around in my head is to eliminate the ladders and run the lines at 11/2 degrees to create slope...yes the ends will be 15’ or more in the air...then run a wire about 3’ high under the side line and run the lats to that wire And then run a single 5/16 up to the saddle...should eliminate the sap ladder backups and each line would act as its own ladder?...any thoughts or has anyone tried/used this successfully?
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast