+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ladder help!

Default ladder help!

We are setting up a new section of woods and because we need to go around a knoll are main line is going past approximately 60 acres of prime maples around 4000 taps below grade. We have always been able to use above grade tapping and have never used ladders. The set up we use is 2 inch main line wet and dry, 1 inch sub mains we use 1500' pre lash rolls and all of our laterals are 3/16's on good natural gravity along with 26 inches of vacuum from the pump. The overall drop of elevation is 60 feet over 1000 feet of distance. The total length of runs are 2500 feet but for now we would just go the 1500 foot roll. Each sub main will be about 150 feet apart and will carry at least 400 taps . How would you set up the ladders, how many sets of ladders could be tied to each other or does each line require its own ladder, how many 1/2 inch risers. I have way more questions but will start with this Thanks for the help

go to a lift station, much easier and more productive in the long run. ladders for that tap count would be a nightmare
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

If I understand you correctly, and you need 60+ ft of lift on that many taps, you're probably better off going with a vacuum powered sap piston pump (such as those on the 2020 Lapierre catalog, page 50).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I agree, but a series of lifts for that many taps is do-able it would require far more vacuum CFM than the vacuum operated pump.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

https://www.cdlusa.com/new/

bottom of the page explains a new lift system
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Interesting. Any idea of cost?
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

$2650 list
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer

In the video it looks like the pump speed may not keep up with sap flow on a real good day on 4000 taps. Are there larger options, or is the flow speed because that transfer line s too small?
    Last edited by maple flats; 07-25-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

This has the potential to be a real game changer in our operation! We still will have many questions about what happens to the sap in the uphill side the sizing of releaser this one appears small how far can it push the sap etc We use CDL for our operation already and will be talking with our dealer We have the potential of adding well over 10,000 taps in the future if this is feasible will keep everyone updated but might take a while we have a lot of work to do without much help

pumps are sized according to tap count/distance/elevation
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast