+ Reply to Thread

Thread: July Journal

Default July Journal

July already! I still need to do up more wood. A few years ago I always had 2 yrs wood ready ahead by this time of year, now I only have 20-25% of it ready. It seems as I get older I've slowed down.
    Also my syrup sales have been quite good, June was my best June ever (as were March and April). May was a little slower. I need to pack more dark, and my next batch of bourbon barrel aged maple syrup, I just need a little cooler day.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave, Good to hear your year has been going well. It has been so hot around here that I haven't even thought about cutting wood. I have several trees down from storms earlier this year, some dead some not. Did get lucky at the end of June and found a 400 gallon milk tank for my operation. Sure will make it better for sap storage and easier to clean. My buddy is going to help me finish the inside of my sugar house the way I want it this fall. I will be primed and ready for next season/
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

A 415 was my first milk tank. (you will like it). It was my head tank for 5-6 years, then I had a 200 given to me. That then needed covers made and a valve added and it became my head tank. Later I got had a 150 gal sap tank made to use as my head tank.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Tore the 2x2 pavers out of the sugarshack late May, and am pouring
    concrete next Friday. Also scored on a 300 gallon bulk tank.
    Looking to get a SS stack base made since the evaporator is
    out! First year ever for wood being finished!
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

I am behind where I usually am on wood, but still have enough for next year. I'm usually two years ahead, but some health issue and really wet weather has stopped my wood processing. My cousins cut all the ash on their farm (where the original family sugar bush was) and there are literally hundreds of tons of chucks just waiting on me to process. So it's been down over a year and has some seasoning to it, but needs split and stacked.

My wife bought herself a new Kubota x900 RTV that I think will get drafted into working maple lines this fall We took it for a run this morning along lines and those darn tree rats have already put my lines on the ground in three spots. I have been thinning them out but they just keep coming.....aaarrrggg. I am almost sold out of syrup, a mennonite farm market called and wanted some, and they sold all my hold over. So now I guess I'll have to plan for more syrup next year. I can expand, but have been reluctant to do more taps and have the long boils. Not really wanting to spend the money on a new rig or RO.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread