+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Refrigerated bulk tanks- value

Default cooling tank

Last year I priced out a used 2000 gal. refrig tank $18000+. I called a company that makes a coobot. Its a unit that is used for produce, beer soda to keep it cool. They gave me the instructions R values, size of room. And with help I built it to there specs. After running the 30% consentrate through a plate cooler it goes up stairs to a 2500 gal tank room . The coolbot unit keeps the tempature between 22 degrees. Total cost with labor $6000.

I recently bought an open top 375 gallon refrigerated bulk tank for $180 I put $250 into repairs having the system checked and 5lbs. of refrigerant added. After reading this thread I think this will significantly change our operation allowing us to boil when we want versus when we must. My plan is to collect and process the sap through the RO to 8% then store in the refrigerated tank, then boil once a week or when the bulk tank becomes full. In other words RO'ing more often but boiling less. I'm looking forward to upcoming season.
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

Keeping a room cold or a tank cold will achieve the same thing- less boiling stress! You guy's will be very happy with cold concentrate storage. Refrigeration is a great sugaring investment. -Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket Head View Post
    Refrigeration is a great sugaring investment. -Steve
    It's been an absolute game changer for us, especially when combined with HyperBrix concentration. We boiled 5 times total in 2019 (+ a boil-out) and 8 times in 2020, and made over 3,000 gal each season. Before we had the bulk tank we were boiling 18-25 times each year. We never boil less than 4-5 hrs at a time, but never on a weekend or at night. We always schedule the boil 2-3 days ahead of time. The biggest time savings is in clean-up.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Another thing to consider is there are many submersible drop in chillers that can be used, which you can mount the condenser on-top of conventional tanks, while maybe not extremely efficient still work. I've been looking at such set-up on my 1500 gallon flat top bulk tank, since the refrigerant coils had leaks but picked up cheap. Check out LS Bilodeau website Bilocool

There's many others drop in chillers online used for marine aquariums that are over 6,000BTU/h that would probably work.

A water chiller where I am employed has a cooling coil like that in it. My only concern with a coil like that would be cleaning it. It's pretty easy and quick running the bulk tank brush around the flat top bulk tanks without anything in the way. But with that said, a small amount of extra difficulty and some extra elbow grease during cleaning will be a worthwhile trade off for refrigerated sap!
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate

To follow up on this the refrigeration work was about $1000.00 which is a higher than I hoped but it is what it is. $2500 for a 625 gallon tank total.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    It's been an absolute game changer for us, especially when combined with HyperBrix concentration. We boiled 5 times total in 2019 (+ a boil-out) and 8 times in 2020, and made over 3,000 gal each season. Before we had the bulk tank we were boiling 18-25 times each year. We never boil less than 4-5 hrs at a time, but never on a weekend or at night. We always schedule the boil 2-3 days ahead of time. The biggest time savings is in clean-up.
    Dr Tim
    Are those units financially feasible for the average sugarmaker or mainly for the big guys? Reason im asking is it would be great to concentrate all week and boil on weekends only. Not sure if I have power source to run a big cooler either
    Kevin

Thanks for posting the update. We did not pull the trigger. I can pretty much take time off whenever I need to so our sap doesn’t sit around. But I still plan to have one some day. The convenience would be nice.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I wouldn't say that refrigeration is just for the "big guys". I wouldn't call myself a big guy at 400 taps. Everyone has to determine for themselves what is financially feasible for their operation- or what they could swing for some convenience and a little less stress. The refrigeration allows me to RO all week and then boil on the weekends when I have the time. I gather and RO weeknights after work. There is no way I could gather, RO and boil during the week. That nuisance we call a day-job makes syrup making a challenge for some of us. My bulk tank has reduced my in-season maple stress level immensely!
    What do you have for an electrical feed?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast