Default tap straight in or at a slant?

Do you tap straight in or at a slant?

https://www.themaplenews.com/story/t...esnt-care/303/
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

i try to tap straight in... mainly because i figured, i use the cv2's, the ball would have a better ability to seal off the hole. but it appears as though that was a misconception on my part. good to have options i suppose!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

I have been tapping at a slant but you have proven my reason to do so incorrect. I will most likely tap straight in here on be because I believe that it may make it a little easier to pull the tap at the end.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

I was taught a slight slant for buckets in the 60's. I now use tubing and try to go a straight as possible. I do catch myself when teaching someone new that a slight angle is alright.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

I've always tapped at a slight angle because that's how I was taught. Seems it may not be needed. Milwaukee drills and a new tapping bit every year are 2 things I swear by. Had zero tap leaks last season on the lines we had a Shurflo hooked up to from start of the season to finish.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I try to tap straight but can get led astray by a leaning tree.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I tap at a slight angle, I think I'll start tapping straight in from now on.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

"Historically it was recommended that tapholes be drilled at a slight angle to allow sap to run out to reduce freeze heaving of spouts and to reduce sap souring in the taphole."

I use buckets and drill at an angle on the theory that it reduces heaving of spouts. Unless I missed it, this aspect wasn't addressed in the article, so I'll probably continue to drill at an angle.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by buck3m View Post
    I use buckets and drill at an angle on the theory that it reduces heaving of spouts. Unless I missed it, this aspect wasn't addressed in the article, so I'll probably continue to drill at an angle.
    That is correct. We did not assess spout heaving (although there was none). The study was done on natural vacuum using 3/16" tubing and polycarbonate tubing spouts.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    That is correct. We did not assess spout heaving (although there was none). The study was done on natural vacuum using 3/16" tubing and polycarbonate tubing spouts.
    I am wondering if you might get different results in a different type of season?

Could a short compact season produce different results then say a long drawn out season? For a variety of reasons other then just spout heaving.

Sap hit the road around here by March 15th this year which is two weeks earlier then normal. No beach weather during the run either.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast