+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Head Tank Sizing

Default New Head Tank Sizing

I'm having A and A make a bigger storage tank for me and while I'm at it, I decided to upgrade my head tank. I'm also upgrading my RO to a 250. I'm thinking 125 or 150 gallons for the head tank. I figure that gives me the space for handling the concentrate from 600 gallons of raw sap or more since I'll be boiling while the RO is running. My 2x6 does 35-40 gph. If I run into problems I can send the concentrate back to the sap tank to re-concentrate it.

I'm interested in keeping the head tank on the smaller side so it's easier to handle and clean, but big enough to not need a separate concentrate tank anymore. Do my numbers seem right to those that do it this way?

Thanks,
    Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Sean- all depends how you want to boil and what you concentrate to brix wise. I used to be able to start my RO and almost match my evaporation rate . I squeezed it pretty good but I never needed more than 30 gallons of storage in my head tank. Now with a bigger RO I still only have (2) 35 gallon tanks but do wind up filling them both at the end of a run so I can start the RO rinsing and washing. I went to (2) separate head tanks so I can be cleaning one while the other has concentrate. I think 125-150 is plenty big for a couple hundred taps
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I use a 55 gallon plastic drum for a head tank. It has an overflow line to the storage tank. I also have valving to bypass the head tank if I want to crunch it some before filling the head tank. I have never found a need for a larger head tank, even if I have 1200 gallons of sap to go through.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I had a feeling I could be over doing it. I use a 55 gal drum on its side, tilted now and it can hold about 35 gallons when full. I'm always making improvements, but I want this to be my last head tank for a while. I like having the stress-free extra space of the big concentrate tank I have now, but I wouldn't mind filling the head tank directly and getting rid of the steps where I have a switch and a pump feeding the head tank when it runs low.

The overflow line is a good idea for backup if I forget to flip the output back to the sap tank. It's a long run back to the sap tank, but it is downhill. That could work.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350

Over the years I've had a few different size head tanks. I first used a 415 gal milk tank, then I got a 200 gal also SS tank free and used that for a few years. I think that was originally used to cool milk using cold flowing spring water which entered the bottom and exited near the top. Then I ordered a 150 gal sap tank from NGMP. Even though it can hold 150 gal I rarely have more than 75-100 gal in it. My rig goes thru between 65-80 gph depending on how hard I push it. I do have it plumbed so I can recirculate from the tank outlet, back thru the RO and back into the tank. Doing that I often get to 10-12%, on one pass I only get 7-8%. I like the 150 size and will likely remain with that. Then on the ground I have 4 sap tanks, but most often only use 2, the old 415 and a 545 milk tanks. If I get moor sap, I also have a 300 gal milk tank. Then my permeate tank is a 1000 gal milk tank.
    I think a 100-125 is good if you plan to stay with a 2x6 for a few years, or even a 3x8 or 2.5x10.
    Last edited by maple flats; 06-12-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a 250 RO and a 2 x 6 evaporator and have a 100 gallon head tank. That size has worked really well for us. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't go any bigger or smaller. The thing we did after installing it was to completely insulate around it with styrofoam insulation so it doesn't sweat as the sugarhouse warms up. The first year we had it, we had to lay towels under it to absorb the moisture from the tank sweating. Now we have no condensation at all on it and the sap stays cooler to minimize bacterial activity on the concentrate.
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

My head tank sets on a sturdy platform against the north wall outside butted tight against the sugarhouse wall. The tank valve is just inside the sugarhouse. It does not sweat. It is high enough that the bottom of the tank is 2' above the float box on the evaporator and the pre-heater in the hood has no issues with air bubbles.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I would recommend the 2x4x3 CDL tank, best value out there, 160 gallons, I have been using one for 6 years, it rarely has more than 75-80 gallons in it, but it's handy to wash because you dont need to scrub/hose down the upper regions of the tank , so your not spraying water every where. Also the price is marginally higher than a 100 gallon.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

We have a 500 gal SS round bottom, open top with an overflow back to the raw sap tank, and it'sfine but not any too big. It provides good capacity for the 1050 taps with our CDL1200. The nice balancing for us is to have about enough boil time in our concentrate tank to allow for the RO cleaning process to start (flushing the membranes to squeeze out the sugars to the concentrate tank) and then later at the end of boil to chase the concentrate with permeate to make sure we push all the sweet down into the flue pan. We need the RO cleaning and rinsing done befor the boil ends since we use the RO for pumping permeate up to the concentrate tank for the chaser. Since we burn wood, we need the permeate chaser to let the rig to cool down.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up going with the 100 gallon tank for the head tank. The bigger one is my new collection tank (625 gallons). Overall, I'm happy with them, but he made a mistake on the head tank. He put a 3/4" outlet on the bottom instead of the 1" I asked for. I think I might be okay. The 1" valve on my old tank had no problem keeping up with my 35-40 gph boil rate. I'd still use the 1" line, but have to reduce it at the tank. Think I'm literally playing with fire?New Tanks.jpg
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast