+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sugar shack roofing questions

Hi folks sorry have been busy hauling stone. So with a rubble foundation, you dig you foundation, in this case its 16x20. I go down at least 2' for frost, then you slope the foundation that you have dug to daylight. Once its sloped correctly I put in landscape fabric, then 2b stone and tamp down. Then I put in 4'' corrugated pipe (black) and run enough so that it goes to the daylight spot and a bit beyond. Then I put in more 2b and tamp down. Once that is level I pour a 16'' deep by 2' wide foundation. This lets me build with stone on top of that. The middle is not cleared yet because its holding in the form. Once all the walls are done then we will clear out a bit of the ground, put in modified tamp and put pavers or blue stone in there. giving us a level floor. We (my daughter and I) have done about 16' of wall to about 4' high atm. It will take us probably until next summer to finish. Then we will do the roof.
    I have done the rubble foundation on a smaller 10x10 two story garden shed that I made 10 years ago and no frost heave or damage.

Wow John Allin, I had not looked at the Sweetgrass Joinery website before. If he was close enough to my location I'd have certainly looked into having him do my sugarhouse. His work looks great and he sounds like a person I'd like to deal with.
    I love the look of such buildings and their strength is legendary.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12