+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar shack roofing questions

Default Sugar shack roofing questions

Hi all I'm in the building stages of my 16x20 sugar shack. It's going to be a while until I can get to the roof but I want to have it planned out. Looking at a gabel roof with 2x6 construction. Just wondering what the best practice would be to build.
    It will be off grid in my forest near my black birch Grove to extend my season.
    Metal roof.
    I am thinking a steam hood would be the way to go as one less hole in the roof for animals to try to get in. Do I need plywood under the metal roof? Any recommendations on roof pitch for North east pa? Truss or birds mouth? I guess I feel like I'm missing something, or am missing what questions I should be asking.
    We just hand dug the foundation, going with a rubble foundation. Still need to slope it the right way then gravel, drain pipe and pour the foundation. Thank you for any information. IMG_20200521_195503.jpg

Roof trusses aren't necessary for such a short span. Do rafters with a bird's eye cut. I constructed the metal roof directly onto the 12:12 pitch rafters and then lined the underside of the rafters to reduce condensation (un-insulated metal roofs create lots of condensation). We have a cupola and no hood so I went with the steep pitch for looks and for helping with condensation. With a hood, you wouldn't need to go as steep but it looks less like like a sugarhouse. We did all rough-cut pine construction cut from our property, including board/batten siding.

For your foundation - do you mean rubble as in stone? If you're going to pour a floor then why not pour the foundation? You could do an integral pour haunched slab. The photo appears to show that you didn't strip off the organics, roots, and topsoil. You should do that that before you build your foundation.

Have you seen the UVM Extension Service sugarhouse plans? I used them as a basis for my construction. Google search for UVM sugarhouse plans.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I used metal roofing over 1 1/2" foam board which is over 1x8 shiplap pine. I don't have any condensation issues that are weather based, but can have some when boiling. My diy steam hood is about 90% efficient, so there is some steam inside. I also intend to use the space outside of the maple season, and may need to heat the building. I am expanding this year, and the new section will be roofed the same, but with a thicker roofing insulation layer and walls will be insulated. I also will be on an insulated haunched slab as Ken mentioned.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Metal roof is by far the safest. I put my metal roof on directly over spaced inch board. The first year (no hood that year) I almost had to wear a raincoat when boiling. By year 2 I had a hood and the rain quit. If I was building another sugarhouse I'd have plywood (more likely OSB deck because of cost) then 1/2 or 1"" foam then the steel roof.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    The first year (no hood that year) I almost had to wear a raincoat when boiling. By year 2 I had a hood and the rain quit.
    I don't have a significant condensation problem. It's not even noticeable even though i don't boil with a hood. I think it's due to-

- 12/12 pitch
    - wood lining under metal roof
    - 8ft long by 5ft wide cupola
    - 9ft high walls provide good roof height above the evaporator
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO

My walls are 10' high, but my cupola opening is only 28" x 6' while my roof pitch is 9/12. I think the big difference is that TapTapTap had wood under the steel roofing. The first year when I had the rain I had a 2x6 arch that on my best days I only got 28-30 gph evaporation. I now have a 3x8, same cupola, with hood boiling 65-80 gph and no rain. Along with that, my 2 steam stacks are 15" diameter and they terminate in the cupola as 13" stacks, suspended in the cupola down into the 15" stacks. That enables me to raise the hood using a boat winch. I just uncouple my pre-heater and turn the winch crank.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Our walls are 8' high with 12/12 pitch with a lean to addition on it that only has a 4/12 pitch.We have steel on roof then 1 1/2"insulation then a steel ceiling,we have a hood on evaperator,with stacks thru the roof. We have zero issues with condensation.

Ours is timber framed with 4x6 hemlock rafters spaced 24" O.C., I nailed SYP 2x8's down to the rafters and then fastened metal roofing panels I had run-to-length.

Absolutely no condensation and I'd do it the same all over again. It looks awesome from inside and is strong as heck...

I too, have a ruble-trench footing, designed by local timber frame guru Scott Carlson. It's a great "olde time" design and, if you have proper slope away from the footing, will seldom heave due to frost.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Sugarhouse design and construction are awesome topics. I could talk about it all day and i love to learn and see the work of others.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

a link to Scott Carlson's website...and the build of our sugar house over here on Little Mtn. Look around on his site, and you'll see Kevin's and a few more.

http://http://sweetgrassjoinery.com/little-mountain-sugarhouse/
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast