+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steam stack how tall is too tall?

Default Steam stack how tall is too tall?

After boiling outside for years id like to move indoors. I have a 2x6 that does 50gph, has Steam hoods with 10" stacks. Id like to keep the hoods and run the steam stack up into the bottom of a cupola(I have yet to build).The syrup pan hood sits 16" above the pan. The flu pan hood sits right on the flu pan. Each hood has a 10" steam pipe. The shed I have has 18' high walls plus a couple feet to go up into the cupola(so lets say 20 feet high).Top of my hood is 7' high so my steam stacks would need to be 13'+ tall. I'm worried the steam wont rise up and out the stacks before it cools too much and condensates? Anyone else running in a tall shed like this? Any opinions appreciated!

should be fine, might take a few mins to heat up but will work. not sure about yours but the hoods i use have a condensate catcher in the hood under the stack to keep it from going back in the pan.
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

That height will be no issue, but as Collins said, you must have a funnel suspended under the steam stack with a drain run to the hood gutters and then out. Any steam stack will get condensation running back down the inside, if you let that run back into the pans you lose much of the advantage of having a hood.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread