+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cleaning evaporato

So what if you leave your ropey sludgy mess beyond July/August . . . until it starts to get cold again, and doesn't smell because it is too cold? Would there be a problem with that? Would it - dry up and get crusty? damage the pan somehow (probably not)? turn into a swamp? or would it not work to clean the pan? Do you have to catch the yuck before it gets too old if you want it to still clean your pan?
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

Just because the North American Maple Producers bible doesn't say it smells bad, that in fact is when it works best. Then the pans get cleaned ande rinsed with good potable water and dried.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

vtbackyardmaple Guest

In the culinary world we use baking soda. Let it soak with water (a paste not a liquid-soak for hrs) and use a puddy blade/steel wool/green scrubby and a lot of elbow grease. Then I would soak it with vinegar solution to sanitize it. Then regular soap and water. Miter might need to be used depending if you burned it at all.
    If it is really bad vomiting is also a possible concern. I've cleaned some really nasty stuff in my life, and yes, I've experienced it.

Quote Originally Posted by therealtreehugger View Post
    So what if you leave your ropey sludgy mess beyond July/August . . . until it starts to get cold again, and doesn't smell because it is too cold? Would there be a problem with that? Would it - dry up and get crusty? damage the pan somehow (probably not)? turn into a swamp? or would it not work to clean the pan? Do you have to catch the yuck before it gets too old if you want it to still clean your pan?
    I would be worried about freezing...........that could damage the pan and piping Jay
    Zucker Lager

Nooooo, way too long.

However, during maple season, I leave sweet in the pan, and it freezes, not hard, but a thick slush. That doesn’t hurt. I bet it wouldn’t freeze too hard if there were enough solute of some type. Just speculating.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123