+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1.70 lbs profitability?

Default $1.70 lbs profitability?

I assume the information Ive heard that packers are paying 1.70 a pound for bulk is syrup is correct. This makes me seriously wonder about the profitability of making syrup.for some . Of course variables will effect your profits . Doing this for a hobby or to pick a few extra bucks is good or just for the love of it . However for some I think the best they can hope for is to Brake about even . Nothing wrong with that , just not profitable considering start up cost labor , jugs fuel , upgrades upkeep . misc. At $1.70 per pound not much of a profit for a whole lot of physical work .Do it for the tradition and love of it .
    Last edited by white mt; 05-10-2020 at 06:39 AM.

Profit, that's funny. I once had the delusion I might make a profit, but that faded fast. In reality I do make a little over my expenses, but when I figure in time I make about 50 cents an hour. I'm just a hobby guy, so maybe some of the larger producers can chime in.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Your right buckeye gold I never did pay myself .

My old buddy Henry Breeneman before his passing, said to me once that you can make money at 2.00 dollars a pound! I did not agree then nor do I agree now. Henry looked at the world as any Amish would. No Electricity, No Vehicle, plus other money saving options they have that the rest of us don't, 1.70 a pound would be right in his wheelhouse.
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

At $1.70/lb the supplier who sells you equipment makes money, the packer who buys your syrup and re-sells it makes money but there's very little if anything in it for you. I'd be finding a way to market it myself before selling at that price.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

That's exactly why I retail all of my syrup and I often buy some bulk, if my supply runs low.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I used to sell several barrels a year bulk, had a few lean production years plus created more customers thru farmers markets and festivals, that was back several years ago when I got 3.00 dollars a pound bulk, 1.70 pound price will force more producers to retail more or all of their production, I suspect when that happens retail price will start eroding also, I've been told that 12.00 dollars a quart is enough, why not 10 a quart? The largest producer in my area made 4000 gallons at 10 dollars a quart 160000 dollars, that is a lot of money they should sell it for 8 dollars a quart 128000 dollars, someone on this site several years ago coined the phrase "The race to the Bottom"
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Who's paying $1.70/lb.? The largest buyer of bulk syrup from the back of pickup trucks and their field buyers are paying more.

https://www.themaplenews.com/story/b...liveries-/299/
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Who's paying so low? The bulk price will never be over 2.50 again, Unfortunately. I doubt it will ever creep up from what it is now. The reserve will make sure of this. As far as profitability for myself 1.40 a lb would probably be my cutoff point. 2.00 isn't bad for my operation. All operations are different in many aspects, just like any other business some are more profitable and have less costs than others.

Also some have figured out more efficient ways and some just work more effectively than others.

I know my weekly paycheck from syrup is considerable for the amount of time I Invest. 35,000$ for 8-10 weeks isn't too bad I don't think. Maybe 3-4000 in costs.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

I bought my own land and all equipment, tubing etc. without any grants or assistance of any kind. If I were financing it, it would be difficult to earn a living producing syrup, it's a supplement for me. Those who have inherited family farms or received grants probably have a much easier time making a go of it. My market is primarily wholesale to grocery stores, etc. but if I were selling bulk the profit just wouldn't be there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast