+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RO / Tap Water question

Default RO / Tap Water question

I have a MES Dolly 300 for maple. We have a sudden demand for RO water where I work to use to make hand sanitizer. The permeate flow level of my Dolly is pretty near perfect for our needs. But I don't have enough knowledge about membrane types, etc to know if this is a good idea or not.

Biggest question: It is my understanding that I don't want chlorine to touch my membranes. The water we would be treating is municipal tap water so it has chroline in it. I am thinking that if I put a carbon filter in place of the filters that I normally use, then that would protect my membranes. Can anyone confirm this?

If anyone thinks this is a terrible idea, please let me know. Appreciate the great knowledge on here!
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

Wonder if you called MES if they could better answer that Question 603-428-3336. I have also been told that about the chlorine.
    3x10 Dallalre, oil fired, Stainless steel.
    Steam hoods front and rear with preheater.
    1500 taps on vac, right to sugar house.
    900 on Gravity
    New Busch 3 Phase Vacuum. (2010)
    Lapierre 600 Turbo with 2 - 8" posts
    36 years of MAPLE ENJOYMENT!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...93710737313171

You would need to find out if it is chlorine or chloramine (less volatile and harder to remove).

Also, a single pass through a carbon filter wouldn’t be enough to remove enough chlorine for long term use. You would need to run a couple in series and slow the flow rate down so you get a longer contact time. Some activated carbon filters are better than others, research the different types and make sure you get something suitable. It can certainly be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right about the carbon filter. I use filtered city water for my beginning of the the year rinse/wash. I use something like this:
    https://www.isopurewater.com/Water-S...hoCRUkQAvD_BwE

You can get something a lot cheaper if you shop around.

Here's the thread with the background on it. Be sure to use food grade/safe hose for potable water. Usually RV hose is good for that. I don't remember the gph, but it's slow or at least way slower than your RO. I think it's 1 gpm. You'll want to fill a tank and then RO it into another tank. I've no idea what pressure to run water through. It's not like you are squeezing sugar out.

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...light=flush+RO
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Would it make more sense to use untreated water to avoid chlorine?
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

If untreated water is an option, hands down it would be the better one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Untreated water is not an option. All we have available is town water. I just looked and it has chloramines. ****.

We have a Deionized water system here but it is expensive and it is overkill for hand sanitizer. So I thought RO would be good. Maybe I'll just call the guy that does our DI system and see if we can lease an RO unit for a few months. That's probably as long as we'll need it. Might be better to do that then to potentially screw up my maple RO.

Thanks for you input everyone!!
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

Maybe research membrane types and find some that can handle the chloramine. If there is such a thing and the price is reasonable it's another option.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I agree with Red Roof. Get a specific membrane for the sanitizer use, save your maple membrane for what it is intended for. Cost of doing business.
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

+ Reply to Thread