+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam Hood - does anyone custom make them?

Default Steam Hood - does anyone custom make them?

Hello All!

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I wanted to pick everyones brain to see if they are aware of any places that make steam hoods for evaporators. I have a 2x3 smoky lake hybrid and am going to migrate to a sugar house from boiling outside. I wanted to get a 2x3 suspended hood made for a decent price. All the companies that make them for evaporators want $800-1300. Just curious to see if anyone knows where to get one for about half that?

Thanks!

I don't think you'll find anyone that will make them half price. Stainless is expensive but I will agree that $1300 sounds high for what you want. You should be able to find someone near you that does industrial stainless work and may do some of this on the side. I have a guy not far from me that does but his price was spot on with everyone else for a hood/preheater combo. The bigger companies can get stainless for cheaper but you might save some on labor with a local guy. Either way, probably a wash but it's nice to support local businesses
    380 gravity taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator
    Wesfab 7” filter press
    IBC totes in the woods, 800 Gallon CDL bulk tank at the shack

Quote Originally Posted by EastridgeMaple View Post
    Hello All!

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I wanted to pick everyones brain to see if they are aware of any places that make steam hoods for evaporators. I have a 2x3 smoky lake hybrid and am going to migrate to a sugar house from boiling outside. I wanted to get a 2x3 suspended hood made for a decent price. All the companies that make them for evaporators want $800-1300. Just curious to see if anyone knows where to get one for about half that?

Thanks!
    Are you handy enough to make your own? I made one for my 2x6 out of aluminum flashing for around $150. It was assembled with food grade caulk and pop rivets.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2020 - 210 taps 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 taps 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 taps 3/16 hybrid (shurflo), 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons
    2017 - 60 taps 3/16 gravity, oil tank arck w/ steam pans - 12.5 gallons

Over the years I've made 3 hoods, for 3 different evaporators. All made using aluminum. 1 &2 were made using flashing, the third was made using sheets from a metals supplier. That was far heavier gauge aluminum and it really taxed my aluminum trim brake, but it finished well.
    On my current pans which I ordered custom made by Thor in Quebec gave me a good price on my pans, but when I then asked about a SS hood they priced it a $1950 US. I said I'd make my own, but when I drove there to pick up the new pans they asked if I had made the hood yet, which I hadn't. I was waiting for the pans. Anyways, they asked if I was still interested in one, they had a demo unit the right size that had some minor damage. I looked at it, and the dent was very minor, so I asked how much, they sold it to me for $800, $1150 under the quote. I bought it. At this point I can't find the dent that saved me the money, and it has no new dents.
    Maybe check around, somebody may have a 2x3 that has a dent. Being 2x3 means you can put almost any manufacturer's hood on.
    If you get a local tin smith to make one using SS be sure it has gutters around the inside to catch condensation and a drain to send it to a bucket. A hood and it's stack catch lots of condensate. Under the stack you want a shallow funnel suspended from in the stack and a drain to the gutter.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, downsized after I lost my help, about 450-500 planned for 2021 (and after?)
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

A&A metal shop in PA shows a 2x3 hood for $170 I'm the most recent price list I've seen. Even it's it's double that, it's cheap. They sell stainless steam stack also. They have a facebook page now too, so they shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of.
    Second generation sap rat.

Started taking over in 2012
    2012-2016: 300 buckets 120 on gravity tubing. Waterloo 2x10 wood fired. Averaged 105 gallons per season.
    2017: hoping for 300 on 3/16 with Shurflo and 50 buckets. New used 4x14 Algier wood fired cooker. 180 gallons of syrup

2018: 300 on vacuum 2 buckets, finally got a splitter!

give me a call ill see what i can do.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Maple Products
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    1500 taps

dont take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways

A local to me Amish tinsmith supplied and bent a stainless hood for my 2 1/2' X 8' for $260.00. Are there any Amish tin shops near you? Might want to ask around.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Creekside Welding and Machine in Girard, Pa does nice work.
    I think you can order from A & A metal through Ray Gingerich (Deer Run Maple) in Orwell, OH.
    You are sitting in the middle of Amish Country. Check local.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” evaporator
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    5" Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three!
    250 gal/hr RO from Ray Gingerich - Deer Run Maple
    Marcland Drawoff
    A Very Understanding Wife
    And Alot to Learn!
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/hd1937/

motowbrowne,

Thanks for the tip on the FB page. Where did you get that price? I can't find a price list for them.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Something north of 250 taps
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 125 RO
    6 hives of bees
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Found the answer to my own question here on the MT. Next question - does anyone know if their stainless storage tanks are round bottomed? Or what it means that they "do not include crating"?

AAPriceList1.jpg

AAPriceList2.jpg
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Something north of 250 taps
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 125 RO
    6 hives of bees
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast