+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam Hood - does anyone custom make them?

Default Steam Hood - does anyone custom make them?

Hello All!

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I wanted to pick everyones brain to see if they are aware of any places that make steam hoods for evaporators. I have a 2x3 smoky lake hybrid and am going to migrate to a sugar house from boiling outside. I wanted to get a 2x3 suspended hood made for a decent price. All the companies that make them for evaporators want $800-1300. Just curious to see if anyone knows where to get one for about half that?

Thanks!

I don't think you'll find anyone that will make them half price. Stainless is expensive but I will agree that $1300 sounds high for what you want. You should be able to find someone near you that does industrial stainless work and may do some of this on the side. I have a guy not far from me that does but his price was spot on with everyone else for a hood/preheater combo. The bigger companies can get stainless for cheaper but you might save some on labor with a local guy. Either way, probably a wash but it's nice to support local businesses
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by EastridgeMaple View Post
    Hello All!

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I wanted to pick everyones brain to see if they are aware of any places that make steam hoods for evaporators. I have a 2x3 smoky lake hybrid and am going to migrate to a sugar house from boiling outside. I wanted to get a 2x3 suspended hood made for a decent price. All the companies that make them for evaporators want $800-1300. Just curious to see if anyone knows where to get one for about half that?

Thanks!
    Are you handy enough to make your own? I made one for my 2x6 out of aluminum flashing for around $150. It was assembled with food grade caulk and pop rivets.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Over the years I've made 3 hoods, for 3 different evaporators. All made using aluminum. 1 &2 were made using flashing, the third was made using sheets from a metals supplier. That was far heavier gauge aluminum and it really taxed my aluminum trim brake, but it finished well.
    On my current pans which I ordered custom made by Thor in Quebec gave me a good price on my pans, but when I then asked about a SS hood they priced it a $1950 US. I said I'd make my own, but when I drove there to pick up the new pans they asked if I had made the hood yet, which I hadn't. I was waiting for the pans. Anyways, they asked if I was still interested in one, they had a demo unit the right size that had some minor damage. I looked at it, and the dent was very minor, so I asked how much, they sold it to me for $800, $1150 under the quote. I bought it. At this point I can't find the dent that saved me the money, and it has no new dents.
    Maybe check around, somebody may have a 2x3 that has a dent. Being 2x3 means you can put almost any manufacturer's hood on.
    If you get a local tin smith to make one using SS be sure it has gutters around the inside to catch condensation and a drain to send it to a bucket. A hood and it's stack catch lots of condensate. Under the stack you want a shallow funnel suspended from in the stack and a drain to the gutter.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

A&A metal shop in PA shows a 2x3 hood for $170 I'm the most recent price list I've seen. Even it's it's double that, it's cheap. They sell stainless steam stack also. They have a facebook page now too, so they shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

give me a call ill see what i can do.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

A local to me Amish tinsmith supplied and bent a stainless hood for my 2 1/2' X 8' for $260.00. Are there any Amish tin shops near you? Might want to ask around.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Creekside Welding and Machine in Girard, Pa does nice work.
    I think you can order from A & A metal through Ray Gingerich (Deer Run Maple) in Orwell, OH.
    You are sitting in the middle of Amish Country. Check local.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

motowbrowne,

Thanks for the tip on the FB page. Where did you get that price? I can't find a price list for them.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Found the answer to my own question here on the MT. Next question - does anyone know if their stainless storage tanks are round bottomed? Or what it means that they "do not include crating"?

AAPriceList1.jpg

AAPriceList2.jpg
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast