+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Washing Orlon Cone filter and prefilters

Default Washing Orlon Cone filter and prefilters

Hi Everyone,

First of all just want to say thanks to everyone who takes the time to reply to everyone else's questions! It is greatly appreciated! I've learned a lot on here, from building my own reverse osmosis machine to filtering syrup.

My question has to do about washing the orlon filters. I read many threads of how people do it and their preferred methods. Many have said they wash theirs in the kitchen sink with the sink sprayer. But what about the chlorine in the water? Will this give an off flavor to your next batch of syrup? Or would boiling the orlon filter in hot water afterwards take care of this?

Also, can you boil prefilters in hot water also? Some have said they toss their orlon filters in the washer without detergent, but can you do the same with the prefilters?

Thanks for all your help and replies! Stay safe!

When I used them I turned them inside out and washed them with warm water.
    Then brought a pot of water to a boil and let it sit in boiling water for 10 minutes or so.
    Then hang to dry.
    I wouldn’t put it in the washing machine. Even with no detergent never know what lurking in there.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I agree with Bricklayer. I turn them inside out and wash them with hot water with the sprayer. ( I do have a garden hose sprayer on my faucet) After the season I do the same and then put orlon and prefilters in boiling water for 5 minutes or so. I then change the water and repeat. I then air dry on the clothesline on a sunny, windy day or 2. Make sure they are completly dry and then store in sealed plastic bags. Been working for me for years. I do start the season with new prefilters for syrup and I use the used prefilters for sap filtering. If you ever took the agitaor out of your washing machine and saw the scum built up under it you certainly would not wash your filters in it.As far as washing with chlorine in the water I believe it will disipate before you will get a taste. (My opinion).
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

+ Reply to Thread