+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let my pan go nasty

I was taught by mentors who have passed on, and they said leave it be until the heat of summer. I usually empty the pans in July and nothing covered in sap or whatever you call it by then has ever caused a problem. A rinse with a water hose is all that’s needed. And then another couple rinses for good measure. Sure leaves the pans looking shiny

That sounds so tempting, but I don't think I could part with that much sap for cleaning.

I've taken to filling the back pan with permeate and the front pan with the acid flush from the wash cycle on the RO. Still trying new methods every year. The bottoms of the pans are good, but above the liquid line is some serious scale. Any idea on the PH levels of pan acid vs. vinegar vs. acid wash vs. July sap that sat?
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Sean, it can be the last sap of the season that is going buddy and not fit for syrup. Maybe leave a little sweet to help jump start the fermentation
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    That sounds so tempting, but I don't think I could part with that much sap for cleaning.
    Collect for an extra day or two past what you would normally boil and use that. Use the warm cloudy buddy stuff.
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    Sean, it can be the last sap of the season that is going buddy and not fit for syrup. Maybe leave a little sweet to help jump start the fermentation
    I have found that the sweetened sap doesn’t work as well,use all raw sap. Sean,use the sap that you wouldn’t boil at the end,gone sudsy,smelly,etc. I used to use sap all the time,flue pan alone took 300 gallons to fill to the top. Nowadays Leader said not to leave liquid in the steam away,so I keep the last 500 gallons of distillate from the steam away,fill everything up ,add vinegar,get everything well heated up,then let sit for a day and pressure wash off. Doesn’t do quite as well as rotting sap,but probably 90% as well
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Yeah, it's funny how things end here. They just end. I've never gotten the buddy sap people talk about. Things seem to stop before I get to that point. The last sap of the season is cloudy and the tanks get funky, but it's usually because it's warm out and the tanks have been cooking in the sun. I'm always able to make good syrup with it. My last boil this year was Dark with notes of Very Dark flavors and a bunch of years ago, it was a true Amber. After that everything pretty much dries up. Some taps will dribble a bit if there is a cold night, but generally everything just kind of stops, definitely not enough to fill the pans. On the upside it makes it easy to know when to call it quits. I never have to wonder when to pull taps. The trees just say that's it.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    I have found that the sweetened sap doesn’t work as well,use all raw sap. Sean,use the sap that you wouldn’t boil at the end,gone sudsy,smelly,etc. I used to use sap all the time,flue pan alone took 300 gallons to fill to the top. Nowadays Leader said not to leave liquid in the steam away,so I keep the last 500 gallons of distillate from the steam away,fill everything up ,add vinegar,get everything well heated up,then let sit for a day and pressure wash off. Doesn’t do quite as well as rotting sap,but probably 90% as well
    How much vinegar do you use?
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by bill m View Post
    How much vinegar do you use?
    Dumped in 3 gallons in the flue pan,2 in steam away and 2 in syrup pan I believe.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12